Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / TACK WELDING ON STRUCTURAL WELDS
- - By Mustang Date 05-12-2001 04:24
During an inspection yesterday, I ran across a shipyard laying 2" tacks down on a previously sound Sub-Arc'd seam (Lincoln E70 under 780 flux) on a car ferry deck under construction. The tacks were holding a strongback for jacking some distortion out of the seam. After the straightening, the strongback was slapped off with a hammer and moved over 24"; again, the tacks (SMAW - unknown rod) were welded directly to the sub-arc'd seam as opposed to the A-36 plate (20#) base metal. Recognizing these are all low carbon constituents, I am still concerned that the SAW weld metal is subject to greater hardenability by its own right and process and now the builder has added a new hard spot and introduced a HAZ cracking potential in the SAW weld metal itself, where previously none existed. Also think the 2" beads are cooling fast adding to the prospects for H2 embrittlement. Though grinding the tacks off helps some, I'm still considering a requirement to UT now to see what's going on just below the surface. I could go on (and did go on for 3 pages getting my thoughts documented)...but I'm wondering. Am I off base...to concerned about a non-event? I want to say I have seen some HAZ cracking in low carbon before, on a large winch brake band, but I'm not sure the band was low carbon. I sure would a appreciate some thoughts before I make a mountain out of a mole hill, or worse, let a potential defect pass (the whole deck is covered with these things; every seam on the car deck now, I'd estimate 18 two inch tacks across each of 5, thirty-six foot long seams.)
Parent - - By - Date 05-12-2001 17:45
I do not work in the shipbuilding industry, so I do not have a "feel" for your quality requirements. (I work in the PV industry.) In the absence of other feedback however, I will give my "gut feel" comments. (Disregard if they sound stupid.)

Due to the low carbon contents of filler materials, I doubt that you have much to worry about wrt. hard spots in the SAW weld metal. None-the-less, I would follow the following steps:

1) All tack weld metal must be removed by grinding.
2) A number of "random" representative areas must be hardness tested to ensure that there were no hard spots formed. (If this reveals hard spots, then you have a problem.)
3) All areas where the tack weld were made must be MPI'd to ensure no surface cracks. (I believe this is probably your biggest potential problem.)

I do not know what the SAW profile looks like, but if you have any sort of a "complicated" configuration, I doubt that UT will give you a reasonable answer.

If there appears to be no problem after following the process above, then I would sleep well.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By Mustang Date 05-13-2001 18:54
Thank you Niekie...good suggestion...I'd completely spaced out and overlooked the ability to hardness test each spot. I think you are right on the MT too...UT may not be the best. I intially thought MT, but since we have a groove weld, flat, with a slight convex profile, we thought there might be value getting a look just under the surface...given my observations about the tacks themselves (discussed in the following post on this thread.)

The builder is grinding the tacks, albeit not as neatly as I'd like (lots of blue spots)...I think I'll take your suggestion back to the P.E. for discussion, in morning.

regards
Mike
Parent - By R. Johnson (**) Date 05-14-2001 02:48
I would be more worried about the blue spots that I would the tack welds. The blue spots indicated a high heat input area and rapid cooling. A portable hardness tester would be a great device to determine if the grinding is causing a problem.
If appearance is the only reason you are removing the tacks you might just want to consider leaving them alone. Just a thought.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 05-12-2001 23:29
Trying not to sound to abrasive- Who are you to ask?
Is this part of a long established procedure?
What are the designers thoughts?

Why would SAW E70 be any harder than E7018 (most likely what was used for tacks) is it not essentially the same chemistry as 7018?

As a rule SAW is run at higher amps than SMAW but the heat in put is pretty much the same.

And how hard can you make A36 plate with out changing the chemistry?

I'd be willing to bet this is not the first time what you have seen has been done in a very large number of places all around the world.
Parent - - By Mustang Date 05-13-2001 18:44
Thanks Ron, You don't sound abrasive...I appreciate the critical review.

I'm the A&E's (designer's) field inspector...and we also have a field inspection responsibility on the prospective Owner's behalf...so that's who we are to ask. The project P.E. thought it an odd practice and the gut reaction was that it warrants investigation and perhaps a higher degree of NDE.

I think your question about "long established procedure" is the one that best characterizes our concern and response...our first observation was that an unusual procedure, at least in our experience, was in progress. Tacking a strongback onto the SAW seam and then jacking on it to straighten the seam isn't something we normally see, so we are asking the question...not necessarily prohibiting the practice or rejecting the weld. I think the thing that has my "alert" on the most though is the fact that this doesn't exist in any procedure, either approved for the project or proffered by the builder after the fact. Indeed, the approved SAW procedure is for another filler entirely, albeit closely related, (I believe--still investigating that)...I start getting nervous with variations, even the smallest, when the builders don't keep me in the loop. I think too, we might have been less suprised if the crew had been tacking directily onto the A-36 plate as opposed to the clearly sound SAW seam. Seams and butts in shell and deck on ships warrant special care and attention, at least from the old school they did, so I felt it important and odd enough to ask. I think it might be an occasional occurence, but I just haven't seen it widespread...all my inspections are domestic U.S. though, so your point about "around the world" is well taken.

Thank you for the other point you make about the non-distinction between E70 wire and 7018 stick...when I was thinking about hardness, I was thinking more in the context of what the E70 would do under the impetus of heat from the SMAW process...it is a question in my mind how the E70, with its .5% Mo constituent, will respond to the quick cooling of the tack...then how that plays on the mechanics of the seam as a whole with a change in hardness every 2 feet on the seam and in a matrix across the entire A36 plate field...I may be off base there. I agree with your thought on the prospects of A36 changing much...not gonna' happen...can I say that with the E70 too?

I think more importantly though, my concern was the use of the SMAW process over the sound SAW bead...I was thinking there was a greater likelihood of introducing H2 and other gas producing contaminants, in what has now become at HAZ in the crown of the SAW bead. (For the sake of discussion, I don't think the LoHy rods are being baked so I think there is a fair chance H2 is present...and after inspecting the tacks that were snapped off I noted wide spread indications of gas pocketing throught he entire cross section of the tack...could this likewise now exist just under the crown of the previously sound SAW bead?...still checking) Mindfull that this is a strength deck on a ferry, subject to cycling loads, I envisioned a small discontuity intiating a crack in SAW weld under the influence of the cycling loads...

So, I'm asking the question. And thank you for the feedback.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 05-14-2001 04:30
I am curious. E70 with .5Mo on A36 plate?
My experence with Mo is when we have a high operating temperature. Is this a high temp area?

Is there a M somewhere in the designation?

Do you know the Wire & Flux designation?

If I am being to nosie I am sorry, The more I learn the more I know how little I know about this buisness.
Parent - - By Mustang Date 05-15-2001 03:39
Not a high temp app by any stretch...just a hull subject to cyclic loads of cars driving on and off and an occasional grounding.

No "M" in the designation, that we are aware of...we are trying to get more first hand details on the wire now, as the information we have currently is coming from the weld superintendent. Flux is Lincolnweld 780.

What would the "M" designate if we so find?

Not nosy at all...I am constantly amazed at my ignorance...seems as soon as I learn something, I have to forget it to make room for the next research/spec issue...or something else comes up that completely uproots my previous thought...only solution I know is to quit thinking...anyway I really appreciate this forum and your comments.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 05-15-2001 16:29
I am not familliar with Lincon E70 wire but I do use the 780 flux at times.

The "E70" threw me off because I was thinking in terms of AWS designation. I ment Mo not just M. Mo would designate there is Mo in the wire.

It just struck me as different because of the application, what is the benefit the Mo?

Any way if you know the "Flux and Wire Combination" designation it will contain the chemical composition of the wire, be it solid or cored wire and from there you can get a beter idea of how much you should worry about the tack welds.

I can't find Lincoln E70 in the ABS code but there is a L70.
Parent - By Ronalb (*) Date 05-16-2001 17:17
Hi, I'm just getting onto the BBS today but wanted to suggest that if the plate thickness is under 3/4" then you should have no trouble with hardness except at the areas of the overheated grinding. If you found excess porosity in the broken tacks then you may want to do some spot checking with RT to locate the porosity but chances are that most of the porostiy was in the weld metal (SMAW) and not in the SAW weld. You should be safe just grinding down the crown about 1/16" at the tack areas then do a spot check with MT for localized cracking. I am a CWI and ASNT level III that happens to work in a shipyard. We fool with A36 plate all the time and have seen this type of stuff quite often. Some people believe that it is beter to tack weld on top of a weld crown than it is to tack weld on the plate itself, and in some instances they have a good point.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / TACK WELDING ON STRUCTURAL WELDS