Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Rod Oscillation
- - By jimmyjeep Date 02-14-2008 01:37
Would someone explain oscillation to me as in stick welding? I have been in school, full time burning rods and have not heard this term yet. Thanks guys.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-14-2008 02:51
Hello jimmyjeep, oscillation might take on a number of different meanings as the term used to describe rod manipulation. With many types of rods you strike the arc and then try to maintain a steady travel speed and consistent arc length. There are other types of rods which require some type of movement in order to control deposition, prevent undercutting at the toes of the bead, and aid in deposition of the weld metal in various positions(flat, horizontal, vertical, overhead). Some folks like to make little circles when they manipulate these types of rods, others use a crescent type of rod movement, yet others will move the rod straight in and out of the puddle in line with the weld bead, some will use a J-motion from either one side of the bead or possibly alternating from side to side. Whichever type of motion you end up using the bead will usually exhibit distinct ripples in it's finished state and some will refer to this as "stacking dimes" as the bead looks like you took a roll of dimes and tipped them over making it have a very consistent and even ripple spacing. Hope this has explained it somewhat. I'm sure others can expand further on your question. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By jimmyjeep Date 02-14-2008 03:05
Wonderful. Appreciate it. I do finally have the roll of dimes look down, I just need to get consistant with it . I have been experimenting with rod manipulation, just had never heard that term so it threw me. This site has really been a great aid to my school work. I thank you so much.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Rod Oscillation