Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Third party Inspection. Are WPS and PQR review mandatory?
- - By Matt 2 (*) Date 02-14-2008 01:50
I was contacted to do a third party inspection for a company. They sent me the contract documents and went in detail about what all they wanted and required but made no reference or requirement to any WPS or PQR review. I am a CWI but have not done any TPI in the past. I guess my question is as a CWI is it ok to do all that they ask without checking these docs.? Or is that in violation of any of the requirements of a CWI? Thanks
Parent - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-14-2008 04:31
Read the contract, if the welding is done to any code, API, ASME, BS, DIN, AWS, IBC etc. then weldors and their procedures must be checked and no I would not say violation of your CWI, I would say CYA. Are you to check the welding or just say yup it's there? I see weldors apply for a job every day, they all say they can weld and a actually a few can. That is why we test them and test them and test them................. I've done over 40 just this year.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 02-14-2008 08:35
The scope of work included in the contract documents is exactly what your client requires.  In many cases the fabricator has submitted their procedures to client/owner/end user for review and approval by a welding engineer long before the project gets to the construction stage.  Many of the ITP (inspection test plans) I receive only require verification of documents supporting welder qualification.  Of course, you will have access to WPS or PQR's for your personal review so you can monitor compliance. 

~thirdeye~
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-14-2008 16:58
Start by reviewing AWS QC1. Then, if you are inspecting to AWS D1.1/D1.1M 2006, and I say 2006 due to the fact that even though it is 2008, the 2008 revision has yet to be released by AWS, refer to section 6 Inspection. Specifically 6.1.5 / 6.1.6 / and 6.1.7. By the way, how long have you been AWS CWI? Always remember as a AWS CWI that there are three more letters, CYA Cover your ***!
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-14-2008 17:45
There are comments to your question on your other post. 
You should probably avoid posting the same question in multiple locations.  It gets confusing.
Parent - By Matt 2 (*) Date 02-14-2008 23:49
Sorry for posting on both places. I just needed an answer pretty quick. From the looks of it I got more than I bargained for.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Third party Inspection. Are WPS and PQR review mandatory?