Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / pipe welding (need help!)
- - By bbwinc (**) Date 02-14-2008 02:23
Fellow welders any advice would be great. I am proparing for a 6g 2" sch 160 test. I have been practicing quit heavley and have only a few problems. 1st is coming on to the tacks. Most the time i try to consume the tack as i go up the pipe, but somtimes the key hole will close up w'll tring to burn the tack out and a bit of suck back is formed . mosty the tack on the top of the pipe is giving me the problem. 2nd problem is coming off the tack at the bottom of the pipe the instructor i am working with will settle for nothing less than perfict (and thats what i want too) so the problem is geting the root to match the tack i have placed ,and coming off of it and contiuing the root pass with no flaws. This is a 100% stick test 1/8 6010 root 3/32 7018 out. Thanks for your time! I'll keep practicing.   
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-14-2008 14:20
You're referring to a burn through. It means that you are trying too hard to "consume your tack", and are basically burning through an existing weld. All you want to do is tie in good to both sides of your tack. Probably a little less grinding near the center of your tack would help. If you grind too much on your root, you are opening up the possibility of a burn through. A little less grinding, and more heat, maybe..............hope that helps.
Parent - By spgtti (**) Date 02-14-2008 15:59
  As for making the tie in to the tack try feathering the tack a little deeper to allow you to reconsume the edge of the tack as you travel onto it, also once the keyhole closes add a little pause and build up a little more metal in the tie in area. Suck back is caused by traveling too quickly or not adding enough metal. When it comes to installing consistent roots only practice and experience will get you there. Try installing your tacks at 3o'clock instead of from the top to prevent heavy push through and don't get in a hurry welding off of or onto your tack. Good luck.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 02-14-2008 18:45
For 2" sched 160 make your tacks small only about a 1/2" long if that.  Bead tie in's are all about how you grind and how fast you move once you burn into an existing tack or bead. Give yourself enough on the bottom to fire up on and then start pushin in to blown through.  Make it thin so you blow through for sure.  You'll know your getting thin when the tack starts to change colors on ya.  Watch close or you'll grind through.  Come up on your 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock tack and consume it.  Then go to your opposite top quarter and weld up to the top of the pipe and consume your top tack.  Now go back to the bottom and grind or feather that tack back so you start blowing through where you first root pass started burning in.  You'll need to feather the side tack now like a ramp so you'll burn the first part of the tack or bead away and as the tack get thicker you won't blow through anymore. (that where you start to speed up) . As you start getting into the thicker part of the ramp start pulling out slowly and speed up till your not even depositing any weld metal onto the existing bead. (make sure you fill the ramp up though)  That is how you keep it from sucking back.  If you don't put a big root on the inside it won't be as noticeable when you do suck back a little.  Don't get me wrong, you want to put enough in there in case you do suck back so it doesn't go below flush.  Hope this helps!
Parent - - By bbwinc (**) Date 02-14-2008 22:57
Thanks for the help fellas! I'll keep practicing.
Parent - - By bbwinc (**) Date 02-15-2008 03:08
Did a some bell holes today on 6"sch 40, the root is geting better.But befor i get set in my ways, is it a good idea to burn the tacks out or leave them in and use them as a good stoping point? Thanks agian for any advice! 
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 02-15-2008 13:32
When you start getting into the bigger pipe like the 6" you can just use them to start and stop on. When you are in the field it is a good idea to put good, sometimes long tacks in for support.  Nothng tweeks a fitter more then when a tack pops while he's pulling on a chain fall or something.  Then you just tell him, it's a tack not a hinge.;-) Anyway, it takes to long to thin out those long tacks so I would just start and stop on them when they are long.  You be the judge on how much you wanna grind and how fast you wanna get something done.
Parent - By bbwinc (**) Date 02-16-2008 01:02
Thanks Kix! how about smaller pipe, Would you burn them out as you go or leave them in there to stop on? Sorry for all the questions but i'm new to the pipe game, so I am greatfull for all the advice thanks again!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / pipe welding (need help!)