Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / high strength bolts
- - By hogan (****) Date 02-14-2008 18:47
i know this is a welding forum, but i'm sure someone in here can help me. aside from spec requirements, why is it necessary to perform a rocap for a fastener assembly that includes a dti? this is for my own understanding. thanks for any input
Parent - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-14-2008 20:15
From what I have seen:
Lot to Lot # the hardness of the DTI will differ slightly and with location (under the bolt head or under a washer/nut assembly) of the DTI and Lot #, the number of refusals will change.
When in the load cell (skidmore) the required refusals for the required kip bolt compression will change with the lubricity of the bolt assembly, which the inspector will log by lot #.
This test will also confirm the suitability and installation procedure of the bolt assembly.
See also RCSC section 2.6 & 8.2.4 along with section 7 for Pre Installation Verification. There are also sample forms in the FEMA 353 document.
The key word here is Lubrication, which is why Torque is Not used.
Hope this helps
Parent - By waynekoe (**) Date 02-14-2008 21:18
Rotational capacity tests are not required as part of the spec for tensioning high strength bolts, as they deal with a specific torgue value at a given rotation from snug.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-14-2008 21:27
I hate those DTIs....TC bolts seem like a much better design
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / high strength bolts