Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding machine is not arcing
- - By Gregory Walker (*) Date 02-14-2008 23:10
Started my machine the other day and i couldnt get it to strike an arc.  I let it warm up and it still wouldnt do anything.  My machine is a 48 short, been welding singlehand for 8 months, started my machine and welded with it every week the entire time and this poped up all of the sudden and cant figure it out Not sure if tha is all the info yall need but it is frustrating as he double hockey sticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - By millerman (**) Date 02-15-2008 02:15
is your assorey power working grinder?
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-15-2008 14:03
A couple of questions- Is the machine going to high idle when you strike an arc? Do you have 110 at the receptacle? Do you have the original bellows idle control on it? Can you pin it to high idle and get it to weld? Have you checked your exciter brushes (2 under nose cone), have you checked your main brushes? What does the rheostat (fine tune control) look like? All of this needs to be checked before I can help you further.
Parent - - By Gregory Walker (*) Date 02-16-2008 21:41 Edited 02-16-2008 21:48
No the accessory is not working. It doesnt even arc and there is no 110 at the receptacle Im new to these machines and you will have to explain alittle bit to me. What is the bellows idle control. It will not weld on high idle at all.  
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 02-18-2008 14:52
If you don't have 110 you will not have weld. Check the 2 brushes under the nose cone, clean the slip rings (brass rings the brushes ride on). Check the wiring, you could have faulty connections or mouse chewed wires. Have you taken the metal 'wrapper' off of the generator housing (it has 2 screws that hold it together and it wraps around your generator housing), and checked your main brushes and wiring in there?

If you have a volt/ohm meter you can check the voltage across the exciter brushholders. With the fine current control set at 100, put one meter lead on screw stud of the right exciter brush holder, put the other meter lead on the screw stud of the left brush holder. You should read 110 volts DC.

Other than that just check your wiring and component condition.
Parent - By bakie Date 02-17-2008 17:19
    Have you checked continuity/ conections  on leads ?  can  be the simplest things sometimes.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding machine is not arcing