Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Hobart Institute of Welding Technology
- - By Hiko Date 02-16-2008 03:17
Hello.
My name is Hiko.  I have three years of welding experience but I do not have any welding certification so I am thinking that I am going to take the cobination structural & pipe welding program at Hobart Institute of Welding Technology.  Can I challenge any test like ASME IX before or after graduation.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-16-2008 07:44
Why not ask the people at Hobart?

They will train you to just about any standard so I don't know why they wouldnt test you also.

Keep in mind that Hobart cert will only get you in the door to take another test for the job you are looking for.
Parent - By Hiko Date 02-16-2008 13:51
Thanks Lawrence

Yuo are right. I am going to ask my question to them.  Thank you for your time.

Hiko
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-16-2008 21:55
Regardless of school or experience you can take any welding test that is given. Weldig tests are typically administered by employers.

An ASME test can mean anything from a flat fillet weld on plate and up. Same for AWS . There are no prerequisites for taking any of the tests. Your amount of skill will be that factor that controls how long you are allowed to test.
Parent - - By Hiko Date 02-16-2008 23:01
Thanks  Pipewelder_1999

My experience are welding heavy duty equipments with GMAW for 2 years and fabricating steel products for 1 year.  I do not have any stick or TIG welding skills.  I feel I need improve stick and TIG welding skills before I take a test.  That is why I would like to go school.  Any advise is welcome.

Hiko 
Parent - - By Tnwelder (**) Date 02-17-2008 16:45
Hiko

I think you are taking the next step of being a great welder by going to school. You can ask any welder and they will probably say the same. The Hobart school i have heard is one of the best in the America but is rough.  Intend to weld alot.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 02-18-2008 03:55 Edited 02-19-2008 02:54
Weld a lot... That's why you're there!
Parent - - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 02-17-2008 18:59
[deleted]
Parent - - By Hiko Date 02-18-2008 05:02
Thank you for taking your time and wirting here, everyone.

I am currently taking a material enginnering technology program at a technical school and trying to change a carrer as a welding inspector , but  I like welding and I am really interesting in Hobart school.    

Hiko
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-03-2008 16:20
Hiko,
  This is purely my opinion based on first hand experience. I went to Hobart Inst. for welding as well as CWI course. They are a proud organization with an excellent track record for success. When it comes to the advancement of my carreer and my education, I cut no corners. Hobart might be pricey but you truly do get what you pay for.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Hobart Institute of Welding Technology