Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Schools in the NW?
- - By 4theluvofgold (*) Date 02-16-2008 04:40
Are there any schools in the Northwest that train on Pipe?   I'm ok, but could use some fine tuning.  Several jobs i know 3 strikes your out  so learning ahead of time would be best before makin mistakes.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-16-2008 07:45
Allan  ??  :)
Parent - By 4theluvofgold (*) Date 02-16-2008 08:54
allan?  who is that?
Parent - By gradyson Date 02-18-2008 04:30
Dingle?? Dingle Berry is that you?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-18-2008 23:31
Hello 4theluvofgold, where abouts in the northwest are you located? Depending on where exactly you're at, I might be able to direct you to some schools that can help you out. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-18-2008 23:33
There is Allan!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-18-2008 23:54
Hi Lawrence, just got back from out of town, sometimes it's amazing how much has transpired over such a short period of time. Takes me hours just to read over all of the various posts and then I have to think about what's what and if I can be of any help with any of them. Also have to absorb all of that new knowledge as well. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 4theluvofgold (*) Date 02-21-2008 07:31
I'm in Oregon for now.  I usually go back to Alaska in summer.  I talked with a local guy who just does handy work about just letting me use the shop,  I would pay for all my supplies and metal stock, nothing but use of 220 welder and tables.  Rest were mine.  Wanted 75 dollars per hour.   So going further for something is fine with me.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 02-21-2008 15:23
try accurate welding in Vancouver, Oregon iron works in clackamas, harder mechanical in Vancouver, industrial alloys in Hillsboro, or tic in tualatin. all of these fab shops perform a good deal of pipe work. this might be a little better than school, although allen might not agree with me. working for any of them would get you up to speed for pipe welding.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-21-2008 15:44
Hello 4theluvofgold, I noticed that hogan posted a response for you, if you can get with any of these employers the experience and training that they can provide will likely help you out greatly. As far as schools and training in Oregon goes, there is Lane Community College, more in the southern portion of the state. I know they have a welding program, but I'm not sure what sort of pipe welding that they offer. In the Portland area there are quite a few programs, Portland Community College, Clackamas Community College, and Mt. Hood Community College. I know that Portland Community College offers pipe welding, but not sure about the other two. Your best bet would be to either go to their websites first-off and then possibly call and visit their programs to check them out. I do believe you can get a way better deal by looking into work with the folks that hogan suggested or considering one of the welding programs at one of these schools. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By 4theluvofgold (*) Date 02-23-2008 09:26
Yeah I checked on the community college programs and most have minimums required to be in them.   Like they require 2 levels of math as pre-requisites that you can't just test for you have to take.  So that would be a year till I could get the coarse in Pipe.

Locally for me Linn-Benton would have been best.   I was hoping for maybe a trade school one that would be quicker and just give me what I need and not the rest of the hoopla with the other colleges have.  A bunch of unnecessary extras.   There's a trade school nearby but its for structural.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-24-2008 02:40
Hello again 4theluvofgold, the structural one you were referring to, is that Lane Community College? I believe that I know a couple of the instructors there. Unfortunately, it sounds as though many of these schools don't have an open entry type of enrollment system, that is very unfortunate as I believe it limits access for many folks. If you can look into relocating for a while I think you should contact Columbia Basin College in Pasco, WA. and try to nail down what they could possibly do for you, they have an excellent pipe welding program. They are also tied in quite well with the Hanford Nuclear Reservation and I believe also with Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 598(hope I got that information correct). I am sorry that you are running into so many roadblocks with this, I don't get around to enough of the schools outside of the state of Washington to understand all of the ins-and-outs of how many of these other schools work. Sometimes I forget that not all of them operate in the way that the program at our facility does. We do a fair amount of upgrade training for industry and can generally accommodate starting at most anytime during the year. If I felt more comfortable with pipe I would suggest that you come up and see me. At this time we are not as strong in that area as I would like us to be. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Schools in the NW?