Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 304 SS to Aluminum
- - By mps Date 05-14-2001 19:58
Is it possible to weld 304SS to Aluminum? If so what type of filler material is used?

Thank you for your responce.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 05-14-2001 23:57
Ahhh that felt good ! Now pull the other one.

In other words No, not in the conventional sense.
Parent - By kmcquait (*) Date 07-12-2001 04:36
RonG your not from up-state NY are ya! I've had a couple of friends from there and that's exactly how they would have answered it!
Parent - By BCSORT (*) Date 05-15-2001 01:21
GLUE IT.
Parent - - By kmcquait (*) Date 07-11-2001 05:21
i've seen a couple of people do it, but it fell apart when they picked it up off the table. (newbies)

However, there is some pretty high tech forms of joining involving explosive forces, heat, and capillary action that have been successfully employed to join ferrous materials with aluminum. There's always hope!

but, only the fed has that kinda money.

try pop rivets and a dia-electric strip to prevent dissimiliar metal corrossion
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 07-11-2001 09:12
Hoover (the vacuum cleaner company before Maytag bought them) made a series of electric irons with an outstanding quality stainless steel sole plate which was in some way bonded to an aluminum casting. Farberware bnded aluminum to the bottom of their stainless steel pots and guaranteed them for life (25 years maybe a little more), GE definitely sprayed stainless on the bottom of their aluminum sole plates and abandoned the product because it peeled off... I have no idea of s.steel alloys... I always suspected brazing was used on the effective efforts but, I will agree we are not talking about "welding" in the classic sense. It remains true, however, that the processes used remain within the domain of the AWS, and have been a common part of the manufacture of inexpensive consumer appliances for many decades.
D
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 07-12-2001 20:01
Aluminum melts below 1000 deg F and Stainless Steel well over 1000 deg F. GO FIGURE!

Now if you take a chunk of Aluminum and throw it REAL HARD (like with some explosive material) at the S.S. you can get a very good bond.

Parent - By dee (***) Date 07-11-2001 08:53
look into aladdin #33 lo-melt aluminum solder (60%tin 40%zinc) with appropriate flux

www.aladdin3in1.com

Dee
Parent - - By wld (*) Date 07-24-2001 17:49
hello mps,
i have welded ss to alum. with satisfactory results,miging a-2 alum.bronze .035 shortcircut with argon gas.it may not be good enough for RonG and it may not pass a bend test but for some jobs it has worked for me.hope this helps

wld
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 07-25-2001 17:09
Well I believe he said weld!

Whats not good enough for me? He ask a question and I replied "Not in the conventional sense" Conventional meaning just that "Welding".

(A fusion joining process in which 2 substrates are joined by intermixing their mutually molten segments using a a third material also referred to as a filler).

I am sure you process did what you needed just fine but do you have a PQR or WPS for it? Those are some things needed for welding.

Sure you can sit and rub the 2 together long and hard enough to cause then to bond, but is it welded? And if it won't pass a "bend test", what test will it pass?

Now I am sure or a least I hope this person knows there are other means, but he did say "weld"

I am sorry if you took offense to my answer but you cant imagine the times I have to sit down with our sales saff on this same issue as with cast iron thats been many years or exposure to Chlorine.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 304 SS to Aluminum