Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / tubing and pipe certification for race cars
- - By sonicspeed17 Date 02-19-2008 05:01
iv been in a welding school for about a year and a half now, currently learning tig stainless, just got my 2-4g cert for steel 1/8". my question is what certification would I need for tubing used for roll cages and chassis for race cars (like nascar frames) and also what certification would I get for tubing used on exhaust systems for custom headers or turbo manifolds usually they are anywhere from 1" to 2" in diameter and either steel or stainless. I have looked through the books that the school has for pipe certification but they are all for thick wall steel and do not mention stainless.

thanks
-Justin
Parent - By jbndt (**) Date 02-21-2008 22:38
Justin,

Check with the group(s) your interested in welding for - NASCAR, NHRA, etc.
They should be able to steer you in the right direction.

jb
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 02-22-2008 17:47
You're probably going to be looking at low alloy steels, like 4130.  If you do a search in this site for 4130, or low alloy steel, you'll find enough to read for a few weeks.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 03-04-2008 13:33
Well, different codes have different tests to get you certified down to 1" and 2" without actually testing on 1" or 2".  They call out different tests on a particular size of pipe that will get you certified in a range of diameters and thickness. If you test on what you will actually be welding on like a stainless tubular turbo mani you would need to take a 6g 1" sched 40 full penn (penetration) pipe tests. You could take other tests that will certify you down to 1" sched 40, but this way you don't need to reference a code.  I say this because you will be good for all positions in case you can't flip the mani around and position it and I say full penn in case whoever requires full penn welds.  If they don't require full pen then your still good.  If you take a test and certify for partial penn then you won't be certified if the place needs you to do full penn welds.  Hopefully you smell what I'm cooking here.  I guess t spell it out for ya, if you bring a place that welds stainless and steel tubular mani's the test I told you to take would probably get you in the door.  If you bring them a 2" cert that would probably get you in the door as well.  A lot of times the certs you have are only good just to get you in the door only to have them give you s test they need you to take.  Your cert shows them that they won't be wasting their money giving you their test that is needed.
Parent - By jianxing zhang Date 05-20-2008 05:47
Wish your good luck
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / tubing and pipe certification for race cars