Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Proper motor oil for Vantage 300 with Kubota engine?
- - By NMWELDING (**) Date 02-19-2008 06:06
I know the manual recommends either 10w-30 or 10w-40 in a multi-grade for this motor, but a local oil distributor recommended to me 15w-40 synthetic blend diesel oil. He said it is actually one better than the 10w-30 oil, not sure what he meant here. The oil he sells in this weight is his #1 seller and is Wolfs Head synthetic blend motor oil. I just want to get as many opinions as I can before I decide. My concern is the 15w,even though it is a synthetic blend. To my surprise,I called Kubota and was told this oil would be ok with this weight,being a synthetic blend. This alone didn`t convince me. I thought I remember KSelon mentioning that the Kubota was particular to a certain weight for proper operation or something. Any input and response is appreciated. Thanks.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-19-2008 07:17
Hello NMWELDING, I can tell you this much, be sure that you have enough hours on your machine to properly seat the rings before you switch to any synthetic oils. I have seen plenty of engines that have burned oil due to premature use of synthetic engine oils. There are also some motors that have an affinity for certain oils and if you change manufacturers down the road they will sometimes start using oil. Best bet, in most cases, is to stick with a particular manufacturer once you have made the choice. I believe Kaye's comment had to do with engine surging with a particular weight of oil, but I certainly could have made a mistake in this recollection. Look forward to other comments as well. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-19-2008 14:39
You need to stay with the proper weight of oil. The solenoids on the engine will gum up and cause surging with a higher weight. Call John at Industrial Engine, he is our local Kubota warranty center, and he can tell you the problems associated with this. 405-235-0369.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-20-2008 01:38
I run mobile 1 oil in my vantage with 2000 hrs   runs perfect no problems
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-20-2008 03:26
not totally related but I have a 7.3 powerstroke with 250,000 miles on it that has had mobile one in it since about 50K and doesnt use or leak a drop.
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 02-20-2008 17:09
Kaye
I did talk to John at Industrial Engine and he did stress the importance of the use of the proper oil for my Kubota engine. I know Kubota makes a good engine but didn`t realize how long they can sometimes last in certain applications.He said he had a Kubota engine running a water pump from a pond up to the house that had 22,000 hours on it. Said he just always put in a good motor oil and good clean fuel,and it just goes and goes. He said a customer had 28,000 hours on a little 2 cylinder Kubota running a generator and all that was ever done was a new water pump.If my engine lasted half that long I`d be very pleased.I am very fussy when maintaining equipment,keeping records for every little thing I do. John gave me a phone number of a Kubota warranty service center from Wisconsin. He said I could talk to someone that is a little closer to my climate range,I am from Michigan,sorry I forgot to mention that. Thanks for your help.
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 02-20-2008 21:20
I have Mobil Delvac  10w30 in mine. That is all I'll probably ever use.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Proper motor oil for Vantage 300 with Kubota engine?