Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Design Project help
- - By gamma_sponge Date 02-20-2008 04:44
I'm a nuclear engineering student down at the University of New Mexico.  We are currently working on a design project for a steam distribution system.  The project involves replacing the steam piping between 2 boilers and 7 buildings.  My project is located in Worcester, MA.  I'm wondering how much would it cost for a crew to weld 37,000 ft of 24"Sch40, 15,000ft of 18"Sch40, 22 gate valves, and 13 slip expansion joints.

I don't need an exact number, but a rough estimate would be great since I have no idea how long or how many people would be needed.  I would assume that I would need 2-3 crews (to get the job done within 6 months), and I think each crew would consist of:
1 heavy equipment operator (to move the pipe from the rail cars to where they will be welding.
2 welders (figure one to weld one to make sure it's going ok)
2 guys/gals to work on the pipe hangers.

A supervisor to watch it all and probably a couple apprentices to help.

So I figure about 15-20 guys, but I don't know how long it would take.  If you happen to have a quick thumb rule for time needed per ft of pipe and a rough cost for a crew I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time,

Jim
Parent - By RBeldyk (**) Date 02-20-2008 15:21
It has been a while since I did a piping take-off and estimate but here are some thing to look at.

Go to the library and find a copy of RS Mean mechanuiical cost estimating book.   This wil be a good starting point.

Determine the number of joints that need to be made.
How is the piping routing, location, elevation, spacing between supports,
Determine the weight of each pipe section and how it is going to be handled.
Equipment needs
Safety

Regards,
Rich
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-20-2008 19:44
Another book in addition to the one suggested by Rich:
Title: Piping Erection Manhours Estimator's Manual
Author: John Page
Publisher: Gulf Publishing Co., Houston, TX

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Design Project help