Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Ultrasonic Testing of Plate with Monel Cladding
- - By krautkrammer (*) Date 02-20-2008 15:36
Hi guys!! I need you expertise regarding this one.
The situation; we inspected the Integrally Clad Plates(carbon steel plate cladded with Monel material)and found that there were some areas on the edges of the cladded plates that are unbonded. The fabricator proposed to conduct ultrasonic testing using a straight beam probe/transducer to check the bonding of Monel to Carbon Steel. Is it possible to do UT to check the bonding of two dissimilar materials?

Clad material specification = SB 127-400
Base material specification = SA 516 Gr.60N
Joining of dissimilar material = explosive cladding(bonding)
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-20-2008 15:44
yes. i would want a mock-up made and to review the UT procedure to prove the technique. what code is this work performed to?
Parent - By krautkrammer (*) Date 02-21-2008 01:41
Hogan,

We are working on ASME Section VIII, Div.1

Regards,

raymund
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-20-2008 19:14
What you describe is performed regularly with various materials. Babbit bearings for instance. I assume you've noted this visually on the edges, and are concerned about the rest of it. The ideal set up is as already mentioned, but to add to it, they can calc out the expected reflection co-efficient which should give you a pretty good idea if it's bonded or not, which in turn should give a good starting part for judging the validity of your mockup.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Ultrasonic Testing of Plate with Monel Cladding