Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / carbon arc / arc force
- - By hogan (****) Date 02-20-2008 15:55
I'm doing a little arc gouging, and was wondering is there any affect on carbon arc gouging by adjusting the arc force?
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 02-20-2008 17:24
Set the arc force at 100% setting. When starting the arc and when crowding/pushing the electrode with a short arc length the load voltage drops below 20 volts. At this voltage the additional amperage will kick in and increase automatically. This will keep the arc from going out.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 02-20-2008 18:35
Hogan,

I know this doesn't directly answer your question.  If you have the capability, consider using CV for carbon arc gouging.   If you haven't done it that way before, you may be presently surprised.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-20-2008 19:04
Jo,
and what would this accomplish?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-20-2008 19:20
Hello hogan, I believe that Joe may be referring to it that way because possibly many folks think only in terms of using a CC power source to carbon arc gouge with. If you don't have ready access to a CC power source but your CV machine has a contact closure switch you can gouge like a madman with it. Simply turn the volts up(you may need to play with this a bit depending upon the diameter of rod that you are using) and set the contact closure switch for constant output instead of the switchable output that would normally be controlled by the welding gun and go to gouging.
     I would only make one observation with regard to gouging with some of the machines out there, Tig machines and various types of inverters are not necessarily real good candidates for gouging as they tend to not have the bulk and brute ruggedness required by air arc use that can be found in many of the CC sources or the transformer rectifier CV type machines. Most shops that I have been around will keep one of the old dinosaur copper cored machines around for any sort of heavy carbon arc use. Just a bit more for consideration. Regards, Allan
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 02-20-2008 22:47
For sale Miller CP300- CHEAP
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 02-21-2008 02:51 Edited 02-21-2008 02:55
Hogan

Sorry, I know that I didn't directly answer your question.   I inferred that you were having a problem keeping the arc lit with the machine, and wanted to know if you could get some help with the Arc Force knob.  On some machines, the arc force is simply a voltage rheostat, and higher voltage can help when arc gouging.  On newer machines it is more than just voltage, and the effect is not really designed for arc gouging.

I have found that arc force doesn't seem to help very much over all.  It helps on machines that aren't very good for carbon arc gouging, but only for short bursts. Short bursts and constant re-starts do not give nice clean carbon arc gouged grooves.  However, if your machine is a cv-cc machine, using the CV will give you a good arc gouging machine within the amperage / duty cycle limits. 
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 02-21-2008 15:04
thanks jo and aevald
i'm not having any problems. i was just trying to get a little better understanding of what affects machine controls will have when gouging.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / carbon arc / arc force