Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIMING A MAGNETO AND REPAIR
- - By Kelton Cox Date 02-20-2008 21:54
I RECENTLY REMOVED MY FAIRBANKS MORSE MAG FROM MY SA 200 FOR REPAIR. I NEED A ROTOR AND POINTS FOR IT. CAN ANYONE HELP? I WAS TOLD TO GET THE #1 CYLINDER ON TOP DEAD CENTER WITH BOTH VALVES CLOSED AND MAKE MAG FIRE TO #1 AT THAT POINT. BUT WHEN #1 CYL IS UP, ONE VALVE IS STILL OPEN. CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-20-2008 22:44
Hello Kelton Cox, I can't necessarily help you with the procedure for setting the mag, however I can tell you that you need to rotate the crank one more revolution to have both of the valves close. You are on the exhaust stroke right now, which means that the engine would be getting rid of all of the burned fuel mixture, this stroke also opens the intake valve and draws in a fresh charge of air and fuel to prepare for the next firing stroke. If you rotate it one more turn both of the valves will be closed and the engine will be on the compression stroke which is what you referred to in your post when both of the valves are closed. Four stroke engines rotate two 360 degree rotations to go through the intake, firing, and exhaust sequence. Two stroke engines on the other hand fire every time the piston comes up to the top. I've simplified this a lot but I think you'll get the idea. As far as the points and such go, I would try NAPA or some of the other major autoparts stores, they shouldn't be that difficult to find. KSellon is a regular on here and could also help you with your parts needs and information about timing the mag to the engine. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 02-20-2008 22:56
Kelton here is a link I hope helps__ mags are set off of #4, distributors is off of #1

http://www.billswelderrepair.com/magneto-timing.html
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-20-2008 23:02
You can try but most likely wan't have any luck at Napa or the such.

Fairbanks Morse X4B16A-1 mag parts
Cap C800
rotor M2765
kit SK13
coil AM2477R
dist gear Y5939
Dist bushing D5950C
Parent - By Kelton Cox Date 02-27-2008 20:40
THANKS FOR YALL'S HELP.
Parent - - By Kelton Cox Date 02-28-2008 22:21
HEY WHERE CAN I BUY PARTS FOR MY MAG?
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 02-29-2008 13:59
American Electronic Ignition, here in OKC, 405-236-3551 ext-2
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIMING A MAGNETO AND REPAIR