Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Correct me if I'm wrong please.
- - By Kix (****) Date 02-21-2008 16:46
In sec 3 table 3.1 of D1.1(2006) you have your pre qual base matl and filler.  If you are using one of the prequalified base materials with a higher tensile strength filler then that listed in the table, then that would kick you out of the prequalified status right?  What about using a lower strength wire then what is listed?  In sec 4 essential variables it states that you can drop in tensile strength without requalification, but not increase.  So does that apply for a prequalified WPS as well?

Thanks guys, Ray C.
Parent - - By Noel Tan (**) Date 02-22-2008 08:50
Kix,

myself never used prequalified WPS listed in section 3 of D1.1 before.
but try to give some points here

AWS D1.1
3.3 Base Metal/Filler Metal Combinations
Only base metals and filler metals listed in Table 3.1 may be used in prequalified WPSs. (For the qualification
of listed base metals and filler metals, and for base metals and filler metals not listed in Table 3.1, see 4.1.1.)

4.1.1 Welding Procedure Specification (WPS). Except for prequalified WPSs in conformance with Section
3, a WPS for use in production welding shall be qualified in conformance with Section 4, Part B. Properly documented
evidence of previous WPS qualification may be used.

if your filler is not listed in Table 3.1... u cannot use prequalified WPS listed in section 3.
Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Best Regards,
Noel Tan
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 02-25-2008 13:15
Thats what I'm thinking as well, but I was just needing to double check.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Correct me if I'm wrong please.