Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / lincoln 400 sae model 2056
- - By hjp4 Date 02-21-2008 22:44
can anyone tell me when this machine was made i know absolutely nothing other than it welds great!
Parent - - By hjp4 Date 02-21-2008 22:50
just found out it has a 2 cylinder detroit diesel with a super charger?
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-22-2008 03:08
wow bet thats loud. A 2 lunger! 2v71 I think someone with more detroit knowledge will help more than me.
Parent - - By hjp4 Date 02-22-2008 03:27
yep, it,s definitely loud, i'VE GOTTA FIND A WAY TO BUILD A STAINLESS MUFFLER TO QUIET HER DOWN SOME lol
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-22-2008 04:02
Hello hjp4, you have a super performer in a welding machine there. There are a few little things that some might consider issues with it though. You already hit on the first one, the noise, screamin detroit, it will rattle you to your nerves after a bit of time, but as long as that isn't an issue for you it won't matter. Fuel consumption, those particular engines aren't frugal when it comes to the fuel, after all they are a two-stroke diesel so they are firing everytime the piston comes up on top. One final little consideration, oil leaks, those series of motors aren't known for residing in any given spot without letting you know that they have oil in them. No matter how well you pay attention to seals and gaskets, Detroits will leak, it's in their heritage and I believe design also. One other little item is their weight, you better have a pretty healthy truck or trailer to move them around on as they are HEAVY. I'm not really knocking this machine as much as it may sound, they are tough and will deliver when you go to put them through their paces. They also are typically able to be started in most any situation with very few glitches. I have seen machines like that set for years and after charging or replacing the battery and hitting the starter they make less than a full revolution and start right up. One of the structural contractors that I worked for for quite some time had one and other than the noise, I preferred to run this machine compared to the many others that they had. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By hjp4 Date 02-22-2008 23:40
thanks for the reply aevald
       she seems tight with little blow by and i worked her hard today burning 1/4" carbons.
by the way you're right about the fuel she likes to drink! I.ve designed what I hope will be a good muffler system for it.
      I've got a 6" stainless sch 20 pipe< 52" long that will lay horizontal with 4" of clearance from top of shroud. I.m not gonna restrict the flow terribly much because of the sheer volume of exhaust this thing emits.
     Once again thanks for you.re help.

hjp4
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-23-2008 00:30 Edited 02-23-2008 00:33
Hello again hjp4, not that this really matters, but the two-stroke diesels will not run without the supercharger that is on them, since they fire on every stroke the supercharger provides the charge of air for the combustion and the injector provides the charge of fuel to combine with this air. Due to the manner in which these engines are designed they do not have the ability to draw air into the combustion chamber, instead they use the supercharger to provide a positive pressure when the combustion chamber is exposed for this air charge. The ways in which they typically "hop these up" is through the use of over-sized injection nozzles and the addition of turbochargers in conjunction with the superchargers. Another thing that is unique to these, is their lack of intake valves, they only have exhaust valves, the intake of air is accomplished through porting in the cylinders. The cams in these engines control the opening and closing of the exhaust valves and the injection of the fuel by moving a plunger in the injector which in turn pressurizes this fuel charge to the point where it opens at a specific pressure(the injectors are supplied with low pressure fuel by a charge pump, I believe the injectors "pop" somewhere around 2000psi.) and generates a controlled spray into the cylinder at the same time that cylinder pressure has been maximized, causing combustion. I used to do a considerable amount of work on detroits in large buses, mainly 692's and 871's, always liked the sound of them, unfortunately can't say too much about liking them for a whole lot else, mainly due to the inability to gain access to work on them in a bus. Enjoy your "new" machine, sounds like that muffler is going to be an impressive one. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-23-2008 03:38
Be sure that You use a proper intake air filter and silencer. The roots blower screams like a siren if not properly muffled. My friend's boat uses a 2-71 on the large generator, that and the [4] 6-71's for propulsion makes it a noisy boat. We wear ear protection in the engine room, and in there You don't even hear much of the exhaust noise.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / lincoln 400 sae model 2056