Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / help!. the dif. bet. NR-232 & fabshield 7018
- - By thewelder (***) Date 02-22-2008 04:15
can any one help me w/ this?. my supplier is telling me the "Hobart fabshield 7018 wire" is the same as the "lincoln NR232 wire" and cheeper but I ask a friend of my, how work on the los angeles ship yard and he said is not truth because is not cualified for structural, just for shipbuilding or offshore oil rigs. can you help me.   
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-22-2008 06:44
Hello thewelder, I just did a search of these wires, they are both classified as E71T-8 electrodes, thus they should both have the seismic qualifications and meet structural requirements on the same level. I haven't used the Hobart fabshield 7018 so I can't tell you anything about it, or any of the particulars of how it runs. I have used the NR232 and also ESAB 8, of those two I prefer the NR 232. Likely all of these wires will take a little bit of getting used to if you have never run the T-8 class wire, I believe they all have a purple arc, results of certain wire additives no doubt. They do run considerably different than the T-11 class wires(Fabshield 21B, Esab 11, and NR 211). My $.02.  Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By thewelder (***) Date 02-22-2008 07:16
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. I RUN THE NR-232 FOR LONG TIME W/ NO PROBLEM. I ASK FOR INFO ON THIS WIRE BECAUSE I NEVER USED IT BEFORE AND MY SUPPLIER TALL ME IS THE SAME AS NR-232, I CHECK THE SPEC. SHEET AND I SEE IS THE E71T-8 CLASS, THAS WY I GET CONFUSE, I'LL GOING TO GET 1-14# ROLL TO TRY IT. THANK YOU aevald.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-22-2008 07:27
thewelder, be sure to post how this wire runs compared to the NR232, I,m curious to know. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By thewelder (***) Date 02-22-2008 07:35
SURE I'LL DO.
Parent - - By reddoggoose (**) Date 02-22-2008 20:51
NR232 is tested in accordance with FEMA 353 for use in Demand Critical Welds for siesmic applications. To the best of my knowledge Fabshield 7018 is not. A better comparison would probably be XLR-8 and NR232. Both of the wires are T-8 wires and approved for siesmic applications.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-22-2008 22:11
Hello reddoggoose, thank you for including this information, is there a particular place that you found this, such as a chart, publication, website? The Fema stuff is somewhat new to me, not necessarily the awareness that it applies, but more so how it applies with regard to filler metals, requirements, situations for application, and some of the other particulars. Appreciate the information. Best regards, aevald    FOOTNOTE: I did google FEMA 353, came up with a bunch of interesting information. Since I don't work so closely with all of this anymore I hadn't realized quite the scope of it's impact. I am on the West coast so this does have a considerable effect on much of the work that goes on in our area and the region. My google hit was from Lincoln and they have quite a bit of information for FEMA 353, but I also gathered that this information was specific to Lincoln filler metals and doesn't include any competitors electrodes.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-22-2008 22:38
aevald,
the fema 353 along with others are avalible to download for free on the fema website
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-22-2008 22:56
Thanks, hogan I'll take a look at that, appreciate the response. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By reddoggoose (**) Date 02-25-2008 17:15
aevald,

I believe it was also from Lincolns site that I found the info on FEMA 353. Most manufacturers that produce this wire will have a note stating that it is compliant with FEMA. The XLR-8 is Hobarts latest for siesmic self shielded wire.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-25-2008 17:32
Thanks reddoggoose, appreciate the information. Best regards, aevald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / help!. the dif. bet. NR-232 & fabshield 7018