Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Weld Restoration for Mislocated Holes
- - By TSFweld Date 02-22-2008 16:55
D1.1 says mislocated holes my be restored by welding provided a repair WPS is followed.  Any words on how this repair WPS should be created.  I assume a PQR with our process would do and then WPS for that PQR.  Am I correct?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 02-22-2008 18:00
how were previous wps' created?
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 02-22-2008 18:38
You should also include how you're going to do it--gouging, stringers, temporary plugs, whatever you might end up doing.

Hg
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-23-2008 21:27
I believe D1.1 allows mislocated holes go be repaired in accordance with a WPS. There are inspection requirements that must be met and the engineer has to approve the WPS to be used. There are three conditions to consider, structures that are subject to static loads only, those subject to cyclic loads, and those fabricated from quench and tempered steels. Each has specific requirements that have to be met and those requirements are more stringent for cyclic loads and Q & T steels.

My experience with the repairs of MLHs has been that if the hole is excavated so that it looks like a canoe and welded using stringers, it will pass NDT (UT or RT) will little difficulty. If the hole is simply welded using a spiral welding technique starting at the outer edge of the hole spiraling toward the center of the hole, it will be difficult to pass the NDT.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 02-25-2008 13:21
You can repair mislocated holes in accordance with your repair WPS without EOR approval as long as the structure is not subjected to cyclic tensile stresses.  If it is subjected to cyclic stresses,, the EOR has to approve the repair WPS and the repair.
Parent - - By weldeng13 (*) Date 05-04-2008 03:15
Attached is a procedure that we have used on cyclic structures. This will develop the full cross section strength.

After welding, grind both sides smooth and UT/RT

Peter
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 05-12-2008 18:28
I hope everyone inclined toward the "stick rod in hole and swirl around" philosophy of plugging holes takes a look at your procedure.

Hg
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-12-2008 18:52
That is nice

I took the liberty to save that file.

Thank you Peter!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Weld Restoration for Mislocated Holes