Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat Straightening
- - By Jmking Date 02-23-2008 04:57
I am looking to learn how to properly use a torch to straighten steel.  I searched the boards and I did not find to much infomation on the topic.  Are there any books or good web sites that explains the process in detail?  I have seen the pictures of all the bridges that have been straightened with a torch and it is pretty amazing.  If anyone could help that would be very much appreciated.

Jeremy King
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-23-2008 06:46
Hello Jeremy, there have been various discussions on this board with regard to the very question that you are asking about. First off, try using the search function of the board here and typing in "flame straightening" I believe you will find many responses and possibly some links and recommendations for books and such that can help you with this. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By andy (**) Date 02-23-2008 09:22
Some time ago, I came across some useful information on heat straightening a link was provided to this:

http://isddc.dot.gov/OLPFiles/FHWA/009569.pdf

although I downloaded it at the time in searching for the linkl for you, i also came across these -

http://www.steelconstruction.org/static/assets/source/95-Bridges3.pdf

http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFTRA_Content/docType30/Production/rprbrstrstel.pdf

I hope they're useful!

Andy
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-23-2008 19:42
AWS has a standard available on heat straightening. I would tell you the title, but I can't think of the exact title. You should be able to find it at the website.

Al
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 02-24-2008 06:25
Al , looks like aws c4.4/c4.4m:2007 , on page 18 of aws 2008 catalog  52 pages , 39 figures , 4 tables (2007) . i don't have one mabey i'll order one at next local aws meeting . good luck . willie
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-24-2008 22:23
I have a copy and it does a reasonably good job of explaining how flame straightening is performed. It tries to introduce equations to help the engineer determine where to apply the heat.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Sean (**) Date 02-25-2008 00:07
I've been involved in several heat straightening repair (HSR) projects.  At the moment the best stardard we have found to perform HSR is the first one listed in Andy's post.  The guideline is very easy to use and implement.  Richard Avent and Krishna Verma have done an excellent job with this publication.  Dr. Avent is one of the leading experts in Heat Straightening.

The only thing I would add to this manual is:
1.  You have to keep in mind how the girder was damaged as you want to move the damaged areas together.
2.  Also make sure you MT and do hardness testing near the damaged areas before the HSR, this will ensure that there is no embrittled areas caused by the HSR.

Sean
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 02-25-2008 13:25
John P. Stewart published a book called Flame Straightening Technology For Welders.  I have one in my library.  I've found it to be very useful over the years. 
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-26-2008 17:13
Isn't it amazing to see what a "hot shot" can do?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat Straightening