Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / Looking For a TIG Welder
- - By hussbuss21 Date 02-25-2008 03:49
I am looking to buy a good used TIG Welder. Either a Lincoln or a Miller AC/DC TIG with a water cooled torch. I am located in Evanville IN and I am willing to drive a 4-6 hours to pick up.

Thanks
Parent - - By crazydog (**) Date 02-26-2008 21:32
I have a Miller Tig Synchrowave 300 with a Miller Coolmate #4 cooler. Has all of the torches, gauges, hoses etc. mounted on a Miller cart. No cylinders. Asking $3200.00 or best offer. Located in Flint, Mich. Call 810/750-9345 or e-mail msteelfab@aol.com
Parent - - By hussbuss21 Date 02-29-2008 03:28
Thanks, I'm looking for something that I can get for about $1000 though. I plan on using it at home for various projects welding mostly aluminum and some steel. Sounds like a great welder. Just curious, how old is this machine you are selling?
Parent - By crazydog (**) Date 03-04-2008 19:34
It is a 1988 model.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-09-2008 01:20
Hello hussbuss21, just noticed your post. Wanting a water-cooled ac/dc tig welder for $1000.00 will likely limit the available machines. First off how thick of aluminum are you planning on welding? A used miller econotig or lincoln squarewave 175 might fit the bill for your budget, with regard to having aluminum welding capability. The thickness might be limited to around 1/8", 3/16" up to possibly 1/2" depending upon the overall size of the parts. The thicker sections I mentioned would only happen if you have really short welds on relatively small overall parts. Regarding the water-cooled torch part, you will probably not end up with a cooling unit, yet you can also hook-up tap water and run it to a drain or outside of your shop on the ground. Other than these machines you will need to look for older machines such as the miller dialarc HF, Lincoln 300/300, miller 330 ABP, or similar machines built by Lincoln, Miller, Linde, Union Carbide, or possibly ESAB, if they are new enough to be under the ESAB label they might not quite match your budget. Check with the rental yards in your area, they cycle machines out of their rental programs at times and you may be able to get a pretty good deal that way. Go to the Search function of the forum here and try using the heading of "Tig Machines", you may get some other ideas for specific model #'s and types that would work for you. Good luck and best regards, aevald 
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 03-15-2008 00:12
I agree with Aevald. I have a Linde 250 HF with everthing and it is now about 20 years old but looks and works like new and I couldn't part with it for less than $1700 because I know it won't blow out a $650 board like the newer Miller Synchrowave 250's we have at work.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / Looking For a TIG Welder