Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Union ?
- - By guswelder Date 02-25-2008 18:04
Hello everyone,

I am new to AWS so bare with me.  I was told by a friend Local 798 were hiring for welders, but when I called, the lady said they weren't hiring right now, but she is sending me an application.  How long does it take to get into the union and is that the route to go?
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 02-25-2008 20:12
If you can get into 798, I say go for it!!  Thats if you like to travel and don't mind being away from the old lady every now and again.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-26-2008 00:33
Wait a minute! There is a posting 798 is letting anybody test. Humm. Maybe they are not?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-26-2008 02:18
Hello Tim, first off welcome to the forum. Now to try to get to answering your question. Usually application to just about any union is dependent upon how many folks are on the waiting list, where you test and interview to place on that list, and possibly whether or not they are taking applications at the time that you approach them to be considered. Even though this all might seem a bit complicated, you need to have patience and be sure to put your best foot forward at the time that you apply or attempt to apply. I believe most of the unions that are taking applications will do so at certain dates during the month, you should call them and try to determine when this is. If they aren't currently taking applications, respectfully try to inquire when it might the best time to check back with them to do so. Then carry through and don't become discouraged. Also try to bone up on your math, layout, blueprint, and other soft skills, it is possible that you might be tested on these and doing well during this phase could help you to place better on the hire list, it is also likely that you will go through an interview process which could include multiple interviewers, so be prepared to face this if the time comes. When you go through the pre-hire phase and possibly get a ranking on the list you need to show patience and if you are offered an opportunity to get started you will want to be willing to take what is offered and not have to turn it down. Most successful apprentices will not turn down any opportunities until they have gained journeyman status. I have targeted this response based on trying to gain an apprenticeship with a union, if you are trying to get on at a journeyman status to begin with, the process will be controlled by whichever union you are applying to and will likely be different for all of them. Hope this helps a bit. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By jason sheets Date 02-27-2008 04:15
If your interested in joining the U

If your interested in joining the UA go to ua.org you may find it easer to join a local close to home and transfer when a hire call goes out however your application willbe on file. You can submit an application at anytime but they will not hire untile there is a call. You will find out more about the 798 on the ua website under links. 

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Union ?