Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / A hobby taken to a certificate
- - By John H. UK (*) Date 05-17-2001 23:46
This is going to sound really dumb to all the fully qualified welders on here but I'm not sure where else to ask it. I'd like to know what some of the entry level courses are for getting a certificate in welding, or being certified as a welder (Some sort of qualification). In particular I am interested in MIG welding in the UK, I am assuming the qualifications would be pretty similar between the US and UK. I'm sure you're all about to tell me otherwise. I believe my MIG welding is good enough to warrant spending some time working for something on paper to say it is. I'd love to hear from anyone with a qualification or certificate in welding that could tell me where to start out. I haven't looked at what course can be taken but I'm taking it that there are different levels of qualification. In that case I am looking to start at the very basics, no nuclear reactors for me just yet. You're going to tell me I have to pick a specific metal group now aren't you.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 05-18-2001 03:31
Certification is an incorrect term for the most part John.

what it amounts to is that where ever a welder goes to seek employment he she must qualify to that employers procedures.

There are different codes for different areas of work and different countries.

If you are qualified to work for a pipe line company most likely you have tested to API code but it blossoms from there in to PROCESS , POSITION, FILLER MATERIAL, BASE MATERIAL, WITH or WITHOUT BACKING etc.

Each code adresses this issues in there own way. They are generaly called "Essential Variables" and if there are changes in any one of them you must requailfy according to each code, Thus the the term "Code Welder"

So if you leave one job and go else where like to a ship yard you will have to qualify on the site, to there spec which maybe ABS, AWS or ASME.

AWS has prequalified procedures you can go to a testing Lab and weld a coupon and have it tested and you will have papers that may convince a potential employer to let you test for them. But most employers like to keep there on records,and there Procedures are there private property
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-18-2001 17:23
John,

Actually things are quite different in the US. I am in California for instance, and if you have had a look at the news lately you will know we are in a bit of a difficult spot. Its pretty much like the film "Mad Max" out here, we run about stealing car batteries from one another to get a little electricity.

Also here in the breakaway republic we have spread out across the length and bredth of the fruited plain, a state subsidized education system which includes what we call Community Colleges or Jr. colleges. These institution provide the first two years of general education which is the foundation for a Bachelors degree and also provide technical or associate degrees which can take as little as 18 months to 2 years to earn. Now if your system were similar I would advise you to persue education.

If I interpret your letter correctly you have little or no job experience at this time within the trade, this makes safety and fundimentals in theory paramount issues for you at present. Most American community colleges offer a beginners course for welders, which includes description of most modern processes used in the trades today, so that dreamers such as yourself can really identify what they want before they put down their hard earned coin of the realm. These beginning classes are supervised, so that you may avoid some of the injuries we welders are so generous in talking about over a pint of Guiness (UK) or Budwiser (US) when the day is done. Most attractive of all, the community college offers variety, one can in a relatively short period of time, walk away with not only knowledge but some real practical experience with SMAW, MIG, TIG, Oxy-Fuel welding and cutting, Plasma and possibly pattern cutting or in some cases robotics. Not to mention a few different material types. This is beginning to sound so good I may go sign up again myself!

I did not mention anything to this point about *Certs*, *Papers*, *Cards* or *Tickets* simply because all of those questions will be answered as you progress in your classes (assuming I've sold you on the idea of education).

Take care and Good luck with your avocation

Lawrence

Ps. Here are some words from a breakaway General

"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible."
George Washington
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / A hobby taken to a certificate