Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / how do i join a pipe welder union
- - By jeremy217 Date 02-27-2008 22:10
i went to a tech school in high school  for welding i got my  my AWS sence lev 1   i have gotin a lot of cerification in high school.now i grad i am going to a welding school called I.C.E  i am try to get my welding journeyman certifiction.  i have tookin a bend test on 6'' pipe mig root flux core hot and cap ,passed it . I've now started on tig weld on carbon pipe i have done 1 an 2g  now i am on 5G 4 its pritty easy  but a challenge. ...................where can i get started on a job ?
Parent - - By UCSB (**) Date 02-28-2008 20:38
Don't mean to be offensive but, what high school did you attend?
I don't want my grandkids going there- I want them to be able to spell when they graduate.

Don't know where you are located, but you might try the local union in your area. They will start you out as an apprentice.
Ask your instructor, they should be able to provide the information. Or google pipefitters- you'll get a lot of starting places.

Good luck
Roger
Parent - By jeremy217 Date 02-28-2008 20:46
thanks
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-29-2008 00:04
jeremy217
Looks like you got busted by the grammer police (they patrol this hood regularly)! When I was in charge of testing welders for the shop, I didn't care if they graduated 6th grade with Jethro. What we needed was quality welds. All the three R's we required from our welders was to sign the application and put a # in the W4 form!

Are you dead set on being a union member? The Halls are easy enough to find in the phone book
If you want to travel/ relocate, TIC is the only non-union contractor I can think of that still has an appenticeship program. They will put you to work and OJT

With the industry in such high demand for competent welders, just learn to pass all the 6G processes/tests you can with consistency and the world will be your oyster.
Parent - By jeremy217 Date 03-03-2008 03:49
hey that sounds cool i look at that ===  i am not sure on the union  i am going march 5 to fill out a app----  soo ya  i have to see if i can get in
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / how do i join a pipe welder union