Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / E-mail addresses
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-28-2008 16:53
Good morning Gentlemen;

In this context I am referring to everyone, even Henry. :)

Is there a way of keeping the names of our friends from this forum in a separate file?

Short of locating an old post with the individual's contact name, I have no way of sending a personal message to them. There may be a way to keep a list so that messages can be sent from a list of names on file, but I don't know the way or means to do so. If you have a suggestion, please pass it on to those of us that are not as computer savvy as you may be.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 02-28-2008 18:00
If you know there screen name you can search it and then click their name and PM them.  You can set your list of replies to go pretty long and that has just about everyones screen name on there for easy PM'ing.  You can do the same with your PM history.  I see how a folder with personal contacts could come in very handy though kind of like how you can store friends on your AIM account online.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-29-2008 05:03
That's what I've done in the past, but I figured someone that is computer savvy would have an easier way of storing the information.

What's AIM? Isn't that what you do with a rifle before firing?

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-29-2008 05:16
AIM I believe is America Online Instant Messaging?  Not sure about the rest of you but I put my e-mail address in my profile, which is accessible by anyone, if you have yours there too and I wish to contact you, I simply copy it, write an e-mail from my personal e-mail account and save it, along with your name, in my list of contacts.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-29-2008 13:02
Its a good idea to aim before firing, but some people can't hit the the side of the barn standing in the hay.
As for emails, one of mine is cwi555@yahoo.com. As for storing them, most will use their email client to store.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-29-2008 10:46 Edited 02-29-2008 10:50
Like Jon & Kix mentioned, all one has to do is to click the screen name of the person one wants to reach... If the person's profile has their e-mail address listed, then all one has to do is to copy & paste the e-mail address to their own e-mail provider contacts list which would then enable one to contact the individuals independent of going through the person's forum profile in the future. ;) Is this what you're looking for Al? 

"In this context I am referring to everyone, even Henry. :-)"  Just what in tarnations are you referring to there Al??? ;) I just copied, and pasted your quote from your post on to this reply...

The procedure is to first highlight what you want to copy, then bring your cursor up towards the top left hand corner of the page, and bring it to where it says "Edit"... Then (left) click once with the mouse (No not Mickey ;) ) until the drop down menu opens up with a list of available options... (Left) click "Copy", then bring the cursor to the page where you want the copy of whatever to be entered... (Left) click the cursor onto that page, then bring the cursor up back to "Edit" and, (left) click to open the drop down menu again... only this time (left) click "Paste" from the drop down menu... You will then transfer a copy of whatever you highlighted onto wherever you want it to be pasted... Sounds simple enough - I hope helps ;) Remember that you can also copy & paste the e-mail addresses into a separate "New Folder" located wherever you want, and name it for example: "Friends_E-mail_Addresses" so that you can have an independent list off line in your "puter" for future reference. :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-29-2008 13:04 Edited 02-29-2008 19:56
[deleted] ooooppppsss
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-29-2008 14:49
Thanks for the pointers.

I didn't know if the forum already included a function that allowed us to do it without leaving the site.

I must say that I am thankful for this site and the means it provides to interact with other folks of like interests.

Its nice to know that I'm not the only strange character that enjoys welding and welding related subjects as much as I do.

I do have to get my eyes checked again. For the life of me, every time I look at Henry's photo, there seems to be several of him floating around.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ross (***) Date 02-29-2008 17:53
If you click on a poster's name on the top of the post, you'll go to the poster's profile page. If you bookmark the profile page, you can always go right back to it through your browser bookmarks. Your browser also lets you organize your bookmarks so you can put all your friends' profile pages into one bookmarks folder (called "My Friends" or something), and quickly get to any of them.

From the profile page, it's easy to click on their email address, if they have one listed, or use "Send Message" to contact them via the forum server, which keeps both of your email addresses private.

Some forums have a built-in system to keep your buddies in a list, but we don't have that feature.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / E-mail addresses