Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / FCAW Wire Recommendation
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 02-28-2008 21:08
We presently have only one qualified FCAW procedure and we do not use it often. Our results seem to be unpredictable when we do use it and I think it may have something to do with the quality of the wire that we have purchased in the past.

I now have an opportunity to develop and qualify a new WPS for an AWS D1.4 requirement. Requirements in D1.4 lead me to select an E7XT-X or an E7XTX-X electrode.  After going through all the appendix guidance of D1.4 and electrode specs AWS A5.20 and A5.29, it seems that I will want to use an E71T-K2M because it of its low sulfur merits, its good Charpy value and high elongation. According to the "M" designator, I should use 75/25 Ar/CO2 mix which we have on hand.  We can use a Millermatic 350P machine.

My first problem is I can't seem to find an E71T-K2M wire.     ESAB, Lincoln or Hobart do not have this particular wire. So I need to discuss my application with manufacturers to determine an alternate.  

Can you all make a recommedation on your preferred hands down favorite FCAW brand that you have had consistently good results with and can count on high quality wire. Thanks.
Parent - By darren (***) Date 02-28-2008 21:16
Parent - By slagline 3 (**) Date 02-28-2008 22:13
I purchase KOBELCO wire here in the Houston area, Kobelco rep always a great help, and the product always as represented. Not the cheapest wire around, but when it gets the job done, well you know what I'm saying. I just work the extra cost of some of the premium wire into the quote, keeps the QC guys happy as well.www.kobelcowelding.com has a good web site...so you can look around.
Parent - By reddoggoose (**) Date 02-28-2008 22:14
For E71T-1 wires I prefer Hobart Excel Arc 71 or Trimark 777. Both give good arc characteristics when used with C-25 gas.
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 02-29-2008 13:29
Tom,
     How did the lifting lug situation work out for you.  Remember there was high sulphur and phosphorus content.  The Lincoln rep suggested that you use E8018-C3 SMAW.  If you are looking for the FCAW wire E71T-K2M, not sure if you will find it.  What I did find is Lincoln's Outershield 81K2-H, which is E81T1-K2MH8.  Seems to fit the profile of what you are seeking but, with a higher T.S.  The other thing I noticed is it is used in place of E8018-C3 for improved efficiency.  Hope this helps.
Parent - By tom cooper (**) Date 02-29-2008 14:42
Mot-
The lifting lug!!!!   We cut new teeth on that one. But it worked out fine.  Here is what we did:
Chased cracks into the base plate as deep as 3/16" deep in some places;
dye pen all to prove we were clean;
preheated to 450* F and let it soak for hours;
built up the excavations to the baseline surface and sent to the machine shop for finish grinding;
dye pen again; 
preheated to 450* F and let it soak for hours;
layed 1/8 beds of 8018-C3 (low amperage) under the footprint of the fillet welds only but not under the body of the lug;
hot magged the beds;
held a 3/32 root gap and filled in the bevel welds.
hot magged the roots;
filled out the filletwelds;
held preheat temp for 2 hours and slow cooled;
waited 48-hours and wet magged;
dimensional checks on lug;
sold off to QA on 2/21.

Now that you reminded me, I should go back to that post and offer the above process for any future readers.
Thanks for the reminder.

Your mention of using the higher tensile wire, 81K2-H for my new application scares me a little EXACTLY because of some of our experience with the lug problem.  On that job I originally speced a 9018 rod, higher than the tensile strength of the base mat'l and originally didn't leave a root gap.  I am not altogether certain that the high tensile rod didn't contribute to some of the cracks and tearing we found deep into the base plate. I developed new ways to be gun shy about things. But thanks for the mention of it.

Parent - By Sean (**) Date 02-29-2008 13:36
There are number of FCAW wires with great CVNs.  IMHO think you may want to try a T-12MJ wire and not a T-K2M if you can.  Lincoln's Ultracore 712A80 had great CVNs has 3.1 traceability and decent performance - I've had good success with this wire.  Select Arc has a T-12MJ wire (don't know what its called), in Canada its branded by Air Liquide and they call their T12 wire.  The cadillac of wires used around here is a Nittetsu Sf-3A or a 3AM depending on the mechanicals that you need.  Again it has 3.1 traceability and the wire is sealed by welding, not just drawn together.  A lot of fabricators around here love it because it is welder friendly.  Owners don't like it because it is more expensive than the Lincoln.

Sean
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / FCAW Wire Recommendation