Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Base Metals
- - By js55 (*****) Date 02-28-2008 21:12
OK.
We have Table 3.1 for materials that can be utilized in Prequalified WPS's.
We have Table 4.9 for materials that have code approval but cannot be utilized in Prequals.
But, doesn't the EOR have the authority to approve virtually any material he chooses, though with due justification and documentation.
So, is the only difference between EOR material authority and Table 4.9 materials the justification necesaary? Is there other levels of materials stated in D1.1 that I am overlooking?
Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 02-28-2008 23:00
js55, if i understand your question correctly i think your answer is in section 1,  1.4.1.  i see nothing about justification however the proper documentation is in order. i think or i'm crazy or..... i'm off track. anyways let me know what you think.

JJ
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 02-29-2008 01:05 Edited 02-29-2008 17:35
I believe that table 4.9 is only there to reduce qualifications required based  on paragraph 4.7.3 & table 4.8.  Note that 4.7.3 requires unlisted base metals to be approved by the engineer.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-29-2008 14:27
I think you guys have answered my question. From this I would surmise that there are 3 levels (and essentially 3 levels only) of base metals implicit/explicit in D1.1. The Table 3.1 prequalifiable BM's, the Table 4.9 non prequalifiable but approved and moderately 'groupable' (groupable being the operative here through Table 4.8 to allow a reduction of quals consistent with Greg's post) and non approved BM's that cannot be grouped and have to be specifically transposed from the PQR to the WPS.
And so the difference between Table 4.9 and uncoded BM's is not just EOR justification as I posted, but a reduction of quals necessary per para 4.7.3 as Greg stated.
Does this make sense, and is it accurate IYO?
This may have been obvious to greater minds than mine but I was seriously cornfused there for a while. Not sure even yet the fog has cleared.
thanks guys
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Base Metals