Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Weathering Steels Prequal per D1.1
- - By js55 (*****) Date 02-28-2008 21:50
I read in Section 3.7.3 that fillers essentially need to conform to Table 3.3.
Then you have exceptions for single pass applications.
However, when I read the commentary it says you can use Table 3.1 fillers for multipass applications until the cap when you have to then use Table 3.3 fillers. Yet, the commentary is not mandatory, and I cannot find any such language in the body of the code that could justify this pracice.
Any comments?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-28-2008 22:02
Can you be more specific with this statement "However, when I read the commentary it says you can use Table 3.1 fillers for multipass applications until the cap when you have to then use Table 3.3 fillers. Yet, the commentary is not mandatory, and I cannot find any such language in the body of the code that could justify this practice" there should be a letter designation or note number for this "commentary".
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-28-2008 22:15
Sorry.
Commentary 3.7.3 Weathering Steel Requirements.

thanks
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 02-29-2008 00:58
You could use the commentary to support the interpretation that the word "exposed" in the title of table 3.3 and paragraph 3.7.3 means that only the "exposed" weld beads are affected by the requirement.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 03-04-2008 01:53
That's the way I see it.  Any pass covered by another pass doesn't need to be "weathering".
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-29-2008 01:17
Its done all the time to keep filler costs down.
Its not only what the code says it also what the code does not say or does or does not specifically prohibit. There are lots of sections that are misread and or misapplied costing companies thousands of dollars of additional costs. The commentary is there to let you know what the D1.1 committee was thinking when a section was written or the application it was written for. Remember the D1.1 committee writes by consensus if they can't agree it is not written in as code. (Its a "We know this works" code which does not prohibit an EOR from doing something else)

Weathering steels such as A588 & A606 or even A847 (which is not prequalified) have nickel in their chemistry allowing them (when blasted) to rust to a nice brown patina. One pass groove or fillet welds are allowed with group 2 electrodes to a limited size (3.7.3.1 & 3.7.3.2) so the % mixture of base to rod will still have some nickel in the weld to let it act as the weathering steel.
When one pass welding is done without weathering electrodes any weld repair would now require a weathering electrode. (it just became a multi pass weld)
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-29-2008 14:14
Thanks guys. My experience with weathering steels could fit on the head of a pin with room left over. I especially like the "Exposed" terminology approach. I think this works, and is justifiable.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Weathering Steels Prequal per D1.1