Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Daming welds
- - By NormanE Date 03-01-2008 12:49
Is there a section in D1.1 or D1.5 that specifies the "Daming of welds" is prohibited unless the weld symbol calls for a continuous weld wrap all the way around a plate. Like you find on a base plate of a column. What I mean by "Daming/Damming" is that the weld at the web connects to the weld on the inside of the flange in the K area.
I have been fabricating for almost 11 years now and have always been told not to connect the weld in this area unless the the weld symbol specifies full wrap.
Where is this in the code?

Thanks,
Norm
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-03-2008 19:18
Your definition of damming is different from what I refer to as damming.

You are simply making the weld discontinuous in the corner, such as in the case of a base plate welded to a column shaft or stiffener to the flanges and web of a beam or girder. The discontinuous weld in the corner is not a bad practice when due consideration is given to the effects of residual stresses and how they are added as vectors. Even worse is the case where you have three intersecting welds at the intersect of the X, Y, and Z axis. This situation is the reason behind paragraph 2.8.3.4 in D1.1-2006. AISC also notes that welding in the "k-area" of columns should not be done (12-17, 1). This is also addressed in 16.1-363 of the 13th Edition of AISC Steel Construction Manual.

To go further into the discontinuous weld in the corner of a beam of column, the area of the radius is often work hardened during the manufacturing of the member when the tilt of the flange is straightened. This can result in a tendency to crack due to the reduced ductility and notch toughness in and around the radius between the flange and the web.

Damming in the context that I am familiar with is placing a "tab" at the end of a groove to prevent the molten weld metal from spilling out of the groove. It is an invitation to slag inclusions and incomplete fusion at the end of the groove. Some folks also place the dam at the end of a run-off tab with similar effects, but the incomplete fusion and slag inclusions are usually beyond the end of the weld joint and not as detrimental in the case of static loading. Weld dams are prohibited by paragraph 2.16.6 (Cyclic Loads) of D1.1-2006.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 03-04-2008 15:54
good reply Al,

We have a welder in the shop that dams every weld we make.  I mean thats all I hear..."that dam weld ain't worth #$%@!!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-04-2008 16:38
I've seen his welds, I would be damning them as well!;)

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Daming welds