Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / DialArc
- - By jimmyjeep Date 03-01-2008 18:39
Looking for a good tig to use in a Hotrod fab shop, will the Miller Dial ARC 250 do well in this spot? Little older machine. But great shape. Opinions please. Thanks
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-01-2008 19:45
Hello jimmyjeep, I believe the Dial-Arc will work, but if my memory serves me correctly you would need to invest in a Hi-frequency box to allow for non-scratch start capability and as well I can't quite remember if you would also need to do some creative wiring to give this machine variable amperage control and allow you to use an external control for the amperage.
     Are you hoping to have aluminum welding capability also? If the aluminum capability isn't a must there are many different choices out there. Material thickness ranges can have an influence as well to consideration of a machine. One of the machines that I have at home is a Thermal Arc 190GTS, this is a DC only machine but it will weld on either 110 or 220 single phase power, it is capable of roughly 90 amp output on 110 and 200 amp output on 220. It can use a foot pedal or other types of external arc control, it also has upslope/downslope control, spot time, pulse capability, and a couple of other features that I can't recall at the moment. As well the low-amp stability of this machine is terrific. One more thing, since this is an inverter welder it is approximately 5 1/2" wide, 8" tall, 12" long, and weighs around 10 lbs. As you can probably figure out, the size and power of this small welding machine makes it very handy in any environment that requires portability. Miller, ESAB, Lincoln, Fronius, OTC, Daihene(I believe) and a host of others make machines similar to these. So if something like this could work in your shop you might consider this route, one small drawback to these is generally the price, they are a bit more than you would pay for one of the traditional tig welding machines. A few thoughts to consider. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-02-2008 05:12 Edited 03-02-2008 05:17
jimmyjeep: The DialArc HF and DialArc HF-P are the TIG capable machines. They have the HF, remote amperage and contactor, gas & water selanoids, and post flow timer built in. The "P" model has power factor corection installed. These are good solid basic TIG machines. Others You might consider are the Miller A B/P 320-330-340-360 [Airco sold the same machines, but they were orange] and the Lincoln 300/300 these are slightly older technology, but I am pretty sure parts are readily available if You would happen to need them. I am not sure of parts availability on other older machines. If You don't need variable square wave AC, these machines will do well for You, and they don't cost all that much, look on eBay.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / DialArc