Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Part B-practical -CWI exam
- - By Asmith710 Date 03-04-2008 04:50
I have to retake part B of the CWI exam and was wondering what might be helpful to self study. Any information will be appreciated
Parent - - By Jim12 (**) Date 03-04-2008 05:07
When measuring the various welds they supply just make the best accessment and don't try to make mountains out of mohills. study ndt test methods as I had some on my test.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-04-2008 13:11
Definetly look at NDT methods and what the tools looks like and how they work to pick up indications.  When taking the test make sure you reference the exam booklet and don't try to go off memory of something you know in D1.1.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-04-2008 14:30
Yes. Kix is right. Don't listen to AWS itself about not being qualified to evaluate other NDT methods. If you don't learn something about evaluating other NDT methods (UT, PT, and MT), you might not be a qualified CWI either. A very interesting approach.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 03-05-2008 04:37
Practice arc strikes outside the weld zone on plastic to see what they look like. Just kidding. I appreciate that AWS can't be hauling steel samples around the country on airplanes every week, but understanding their intentions with drilled holes in PVC is part of scoring well. My best tip received was to forgo calipers and use the best measurements I could get with the machinist's scale. Saves time, and the measurements are close enough for the purposes of the test.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Part B-practical -CWI exam