Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WPS / Position Qualified
- - By dhannaro (*) Date 03-04-2008 10:03
I'am would like to qualified WPS according to AWS D1.1 , for Plate CJP with position 2G and 3G , that can be qualified for 1G to 4G? , I'am confuse about table 4.1 and table 4.6. So please clarify for me,

Thanks for your support

D hannaro
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 03-04-2008 15:50
To qualify your procedure in all positions you would need to look at table 4.1 and weld and test a horizonal, vertical, and overhead position WPS qualification coupon.

Does your work require impact testing?  If so you then need to use table 4.6.
Table 4.6 describes the essential variables for the CVN impact testing requirements.  If you do the charpy's in a vertical up coupon, all the welding positions already qualified are now covered for impact testing as well.
Parent - By dhannaro (*) Date 03-05-2008 03:54
The table 4.6 is meaning ,if test in 3G position will qualified all position for CVN impact testing , That mean if we need to qualified cover for all position , we will test 2G, 3G and 4G as table 4.1, but mechanical test for CVN impact testing only 3G , for 2G and 4G no need to impact test.

Thanks for support

D hannaro
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WPS / Position Qualified