Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / DOWN HILL PIPE MODE VANTAGE500
- - By vantage500man (**) Date 03-04-2008 19:01
CAN SOME IN DETAIL EXPLAIN HOW THIS MODE WORKS AND HOW TO USE IT PROPERLY IN LAY-MANS TERMS??
PLUS HOW IT IS DEFERENT FROM THE REGULAR WELDING MODE THANK YOU

BEAR
Parent - By JescoPressure (**) Date 03-04-2008 20:21
all chopper machines have it now . It helps stack  when using cellulose rods (7010 , 8010 etc. ) when pipelining . play with your settings and burn it on some pipe downhill and try it. regular cc stick setting is good for everything else

hope that helps you
Jesse
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 03-04-2008 21:34
Hey Vman, I have the 400 and used it this past Saturday on some light wall 12" for the first time. It doesn't have the quality arc that the Miller TrailBlazer 302 with it's aircooled 3600 rpm motor has but it still welds very well. Leave the arc force on "0" like the manual says and have at it. Arc force set at -2 and there are issues with keeping the arc lit. Arc force at +2 and it doesn't seem as smooth. Spent the last two days welding TDW short stop fittings and welding 1" street plates. Just for SH@TS and GiGGLES I tried to stick a 3/16 6010 in the plate and had to push really hard to get it to stick- Ted
Parent - By 1mancrew (**) Date 03-05-2008 04:18
I run the Miller Pro 300 and this is what I have gathered about the whole arc or slope adjust.

From what I understand, when you lower the voltage you have more adjustment with the arc length. For example in "A" mode on my machine the voltage is higher making it an ideal arc for a consistant joint done all in one position with 7018. Very little variance in amperage regardless of arc length. I usually turn it over to the "C" mode on pipe because I want to be able to adjust the arc a little bit depending on where I'm at on the pipe. If I'm on the bottom and the pipe is starting to close up a little bit I want to be able to tighten up the arc a little bit and increase the heat to push the root in a little better. I found the "D" setting just a little to eratic for me. I don't have much expierience with Lincoln equipment but I think that turning the dig setting up decreases voltage much like turning my 300 over to "D". I hope this made sense.

GH Weidman
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / DOWN HILL PIPE MODE VANTAGE500