Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS Standards for rod storage
- - By kmurdock Date 03-04-2008 19:18
Good afternoon - where could I find a "standard" regarding rod storage? I am on a job where the owner is really looking for issues - and apparently found one with how thr od is stored/exposed. I looked in the project spec and only found reference to AWS D10.12 Part 1 "quality assurance". Can anyone help me out on this one?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-04-2008 19:46 Edited 03-04-2008 19:49
Welcome to the fourm kmurdock

If you are looking for a code standard you need look no further than AWS D1.1 2006 Structural Welding Code--Steel  Section 5 Fabrication

5.3.2.1 Low-Hydrogen Electrode Storage Conditions
"All electrodes having low hydrogen coverings conforming to AWS A5.1 and AWS A5.5 shall be purchased in hermetically sealed containers or shall be baked by the user in conformance with 5.3.2.4 prior to use. Immedatly after opening the hermetically sealed container, electrodes shall be stored in ovens held at a temperature of at least 250F..."

There are even more stringent requirements for sisemic codes and pressure vessels. I'm sure some of the experts in those areas may be able to add specifics.
Parent - - By kmurdock Date 03-05-2008 18:12
Thanks - another issue is that of containers thathave been left open for a period of time (using Excalibur 7018 MR rod) and the time period that the rod can be exposed, if itneeds to be cooked after a certain period of exposure, etc.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-05-2008 19:09
If you are working to D1.1 than that is what you must obey. You need to have a copy of the code in order to do that.

There are a variety of factors that dictate how long an electrode can be exposed, if it may be rebaked at all, how many times it may be rebaked, at what temperature etc.  The only way to get an absolute ruling is to see how your situation works with what ever code you are attempting to comply with.

If you are asking in general terms why not just go direct to the manufacturer of your Excalibur 7018 and see what they say about their own product
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/storing.asp
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 03-18-2009 17:17
I have been unable to find any storage direction on 410 NiMo rod, where would one go to look for these type of rods?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-18-2009 18:08
I believe that AWS A 5.9 might be a start. Also, AWS D1.6 (99) 3.10.2
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 03-18-2009 18:36
It actually falls under A5.4, its a covered electrode, in my haste I didn't add 16 after 410 NiMo 16, I checked it(speed read) and I didn't see anything about storage, If I have time later I will read it along with D1.6
I know some rod shouldn't be stored in an oven, and we had some welds crack after using rod that came from the foundry(unheated). I need to know if they should be heated in an oven like LH.
- By weldktm Date 06-20-2013 13:19
You could also have a look at this link:
http://www.weldinguide.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=354
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS Standards for rod storage