Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welding code
- - By Eric Hess Date 03-05-2008 01:38
Does anyone know under which code the welding of solid carbon steel bar would fall, i.e. A307 anchor bolts?  More to the point, would it be considered a pre-qualified welding procedure or does it have to be qualified?  I have a situation where the E.O.R. wants the contractor to qualify the weld under D1.4.  At first I thought reinforcing steel wouldn't apply, but there is a sentence in D1.4, section 1.3.3, which states that the base metal has to be listed in D1.4 or D1.1 "or any steel stipulated in the contract documents or approved by the Engineer."

Thank you.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 03-05-2008 11:36
It is not prequalified in D1.1, and is most likely not prequalified in D1.4.  Can you explain how/where you need to weld these bolts?
Parent - By Eric Hess Date 03-15-2008 00:56
Thank your for your interest in my question.  Please see my response below to James Corbin.
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 03-05-2008 16:10
A "BAR or ROD" used for Anchor bolts would fall under ASTM F 1554 in grades 36, 55, & 105 (yields) Gr36 is weldable & Gr55 can be ordered weldable (see ASTM F 1554 supplementary requirements i.e CE requirements & max heat analysis) The grade 36 is A36 steel, check the MTR and see if the Gr55 is dual certified to something that is listed under D1.1 table 3.2. or if it was ordered weldable.

If it is a bolt (with a hex head) it will be on the bolt head what it is. A307 is weldable if.... (see ASTM A307 supplementary requirements i.e. CE requirements & max heat analysis)

You may need to do a PQR. Check your MTRs. My guess the EOR likes the joint details and testing as done in the D1.4-05 sections 3 & 6. This code deals with steel with tensile strengths from 70 ksi to 110 ksi.

Hope this helps (I would need more information to research further)
Parent - - By Eric Hess Date 03-15-2008 00:54
Thank you for the helpful information.  I had hoped to respond to your post sooner but this issue just got resolved, (sort of). 

The E.O.R. allowed the contractor to weld the anchor bolts without doing a P.Q.R. because they are A.S.T.M. F1554, grade 36 and this particular gravity column wasn't holding up much weight.  The steel contractor submitted several pages of documentation including the chemical analyses of A.S.T.M. A36 steel and A.S.T.M. F1554 gr. 36 anchor bolts, (showing them to be nearly identical), and an Engineering FAQ from A.I.S.C. showing how to weld a short anchor bolt. 

In the future, I think the best solution might be to do a P.Q.R. under A.W.S. D1.4 because at least it allows the Engineer to specify other materials and the welding procedure would be closer to that of rebar than of pipe, plate or box tube. 

Again, thanks for your input.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 03-17-2008 10:23
I respectfully disagree.  If the EOR lets it go, why go through the extra effort of a PQR?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welding code