Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / prescription safety glasses
- - By sriesch (*) Date 03-05-2008 03:22
I will need to obtain a pair of prescription safety glasses before learning to weld, but I'm uncertain where to start.  Can anybody offer suggestions as to commonly used brands, styles, or features that I should look for or avoid when searching, or any places online I should check out or stay away from? 

Also, do wrap-around styles count as "side shields" or not, and do I want them to avoid the corners of my glasses from hitting the inside of a welding helmet or doesn't it matter?

I will also be needing cutting goggles; is that something I should worry about a prescription for?  Not sure if I'll be swapping between the cutting goggles and safety glasses or if one should fit over the other or what.  I'm nearsighted and can see fine close up (such as right now when typing) but would prefer to have prescription lenses if I'll be wandering around.

Thanks!
Parent - - By michaelb (**) Date 03-05-2008 03:59
tomwaters out of lousiana is the man you need to talk to, well maybe, he might be able to help you, has a web site.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 03-05-2008 14:07
got a number for tom waters. I used to get a catalog and need some stuff from there. Thanks
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 03-05-2008 04:03
Check your local Wal-mart. They usually have a vision center in the front of their stores. They have a whole section for approved saftey frames and the costs are real reasonable. I spent $50 for the eye exam and another $50 for the glasses themselves. I have the excact opposite problem that you do. I strain like hell to see close up but I can see very well at a distance. I have 20x10 so I wear glasses to read and weld. As far as the cutting goggles go, I use a full face shield when torching and then swithch back to my welding hood.
Long story short, you will just have to expirement and find out what works best for you.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any more help.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-05-2008 14:13
Spend the extra bucks to utilize the local shops, anything other than feeding the 800 pound gorilla (walmart).
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-05-2008 14:57
Within the last 5 years I have purchase safety glasses at two locations. One a local optometrist and one Wal Mart. Both times I selected the high fasion frames as shown below. (Mine were Yellow which the wife loved as I wear them all the time).

The gorilla nibbled off about 35 bucks for lenses and frames. The local Dr received in excess of 100.

Anyway, UVEX has many products avaialable for RX glasses. Most optometrists can get their frames and many may stock them

Check out http://www.uvex.us/home.asp

Gerald
http://weldingdata.com/
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-05-2008 15:09
Getting mine from Wal-Mart when I get back home, they've already got my normal lense Rx on hand so ne need for a second exam.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-06-2008 04:32
Have You folks been satisfied with WalMart for Your glasses? Do You use them for the perscription test, or only for the frames & lenses. I need new frames & lenses, might give them a try.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-06-2008 07:03
I used them (Walmart) for the whole thing, exam, lenses and frame and in my opinion, they are as good as any other optician (and certainly better than some I've used) at less money.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 03-06-2008 14:23
Order the safety glasses with stainless steel wire mesh side shields and the fogging goes away.
Parent - By 1mancrew (**) Date 03-07-2008 03:25
I used Wal-mart for the test and to make the glasses. Very quick and easy process. I try to go every year for an exam. $50 is a small price to pay to stay on top of your optical health!

GH Weidman
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 03-07-2008 04:04
My Hobart hood w/auto dark owners manual has a section in it concerning inside lens covers with vision corrective properties. I wear bi-focals when not welding, but have a seperate pair for under the hood. if you don't want standard glasses...look into corrective lens covers for your hood. don't forget your safety glasses though.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / prescription safety glasses