Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Big 40 question...
- - By welderdude (**) Date 03-06-2008 02:05
I just bought a big 40.  it has this mysterious box right below the control panel.  it has a lid that lifts up and exposes the wiring inside.  the main welding cables go into it and there is a lever switch that seems to control where the welding current is going...there are welding lead lugs inside the box, and more welding cable going out of the box to the normal place that you would hook up the welding lugs on the side of the machine (same place as an SA-200).  that's all fine and dandy, except for these other little wires that are hooked to 3 of the welding terminals.  I trace these wires and they go to some kinda voltage regulator and relay that is wired to something else inside the machine. 

Is this some kinda constant voltage/constant current switch?  I've welded using the normal terminals and that all works fine.  I can't, for the life of me, figure this out and I don't wanna hook up any welding leads to something I don't know.
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 03-06-2008 02:58
According to the manual http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o4406t_mil.pdf it looks like it is for hooking up to 3-phase generator
Parent - - By welderdude (**) Date 03-06-2008 10:20
no, this box is big.  about 18" wide and 10" tall.  this is an older big 40...late 70's or so.  I should take some pics.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 03-08-2008 15:35
Polarity switch ??? Is my best guess pictures would help been a while since I've seen an old miller.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 03-08-2008 15:45
What is the serial number? Some of these units came with battery charge option, polarity option, etc. Thats why you see so many on sign company trucks. They use them to run the truck boom.

http://millerwelds.com/om/o450n_mil.pdf
Parent - By welderdude (**) Date 03-08-2008 16:45
now that makes sense.  on the schematic it says "charge" on one of the wires leading to the voltage regulator.  and on the circuit board the regulator is hooked to there is a wire that can hook into one of 3 slots labeled 12V, 24V, 36V.  I was really hoping it was a CV unit!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Big 40 question...