Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / where can I find max re-enforcement on pipe information?
- - By PrairieDawg (*) Date 03-06-2008 03:21
does anyone know where I can find this information? I need to know what the maximum re-enforcement allowed by CSA on a pipe with 3/8 - 2 3/4 wall thickness.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-06-2008 13:35
I'm not familiar with Canadian welding standards, but I assume they have several that address different types of systems, i.e., boilers, pressure vessels, pressure piping, structural steel, etc.

You need to purchase the appropriate welding standard that addresses the type of work you are doing. You can't inspect to a standard if you don't have a copy to refer to.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 03-06-2008 16:36
CSA W59-03 Section 1.2
"This Standard is not intended to apply to pressure vessels or to structures governed by special codes such as those of Lloyds, the American Petroleum Institute, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, or the American Water Works Association."

Section 5.9.3
"The finishing passes of all butt and corner joints shall provide a reinforcement at the centre of the weld not exceeding 3 mm (1/8 in). The reinforcement may be removed but, if not removed, shall be built up uniformly from the surface of the base metal to a maximum at the centre of the weld. There shall be no valley or groove along the edge or in the centre of the weld. The deposited metal shall be smooth and uniform in cross-section. The ends of butt joints shall be of sound metal finished smoothly and conforming to the cross-section of the welded joint (see Figure 5.4(d)). They shall be free from defects as shown for butt joints in Figure 5.4(e)."

Check the code as listed in your contract.
Hope this helps
Parent - By PrairieDawg (*) Date 03-08-2008 20:55
I'm preparing for a journeyman's written. I have some of the questions I can remember from the first time I wrote it but the ones I'm asking in the forum are ones that I cannot look up in my texts because they're not in there. I don't have the CSA guidelines so I can't look it up so I'm hoping someone on here might know. 3/32 sounds too small of a max reinforcement so I'm almost thinking it should be 1/8" or 1/4"?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / where can I find max re-enforcement on pipe information?