Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Essencial Variable???
- - By geralderik (*) Date 03-07-2008 13:34
I have a single bevel groove weld qualified with 6 pass from welding, in welding of produccion they are putting more of 6 pass.  Some it exists restriccion in the  number of pass for calificacion given.  I have revised the Table 4,5 of AWS in which comments nothing of this. 

Erik
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-07-2008 14:24
If I understand your question correctly, you are concerned because the welders are depositing the required weld size using more passes than were used when the welding procedure was qualified.

If there is a concern with notch toughness, heat input is an issue. High heat input results in larger coarser grains which have low impact toughness. Low heat input results in fine grains and tougher material.

A groove weld of a given size will have finer grain size if the heat input is minimized by depositing smaller weld beads, but more weld beads are required to completely fill the groove. The same groove (same size weld) will have a higher heat input, larger (coarser) grain size if the welders deposit large weld beads, but it will take fewer beads to completey fill the groove.

Thus the groove weld that is filled with 30 weld beads will have better toughness than the same groove weld filled with only 15 weld beads.

I hope this helps you to resolve your conflict.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By geralderik (*) Date 03-07-2008 15:04
The codigo AWS D1.1 limits this variable ?????

Best Regards 
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-07-2008 15:39
Only if notch toughness is a consideration.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Essencial Variable???