Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / just wondering???
- - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 03-10-2008 18:21
Lets just say a guy shows up on a pipeline job with his own rig and he has welding experince but not on pipe only what he has taught himself and this is his fist try at it "proffesionally" do you guys just laugh him off the job or does he get a shot at trying to pass the test and if he passes is he good to go and do you guys show him around with tips and you know kinda show him the ropes or do you avoid him like a plague??? Just a thought...
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-10-2008 20:29
a welder with only plate experience, working on a pipeline. not a very good chance of this happening. would you go to a foot doctor for back surgery? it's not that you can't weld, it that you have not diversified into pipe welding. the code has different requirements for different stresses.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 03-10-2008 21:53
Would this certain welder happen to go by the screen name cyrus 07?
Parent - - By mechan (**) Date 03-11-2008 06:25
Going to cost alot of money investing in a rig and such if you can't do the job that is going to pay for the rig.
Parent - - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 03-11-2008 14:03
o.k. johnnyh it might not have taken Sherlock Holmes to figure it out but still a pretty good piece of detective work on your part nonetheless ..lol.. I guess I just dont understand all these codes and numbers that "EVERYONE" on this site talks about I find it very, very confusing codes,codes,codes like the guy talking about welding the Harley frame what do you need a code for that for why cant you just weld it and if it looks good and is a good strong weld I say job done. Does everyone in the field talk like this with all these codes and such because I dont think I would be able to carry on a conversation about welding maybe Im just stupid or dont understand it and I hope there is something that tells you what they mean but maybe thats why some guys make the big money and some dont...
please someone fill me in on these codes!!!!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-11-2008 15:08
Hello cyrus 07, here's my take on where you are at here. I believe you do have an understanding that welding requires certain levels of proficiency and skill, without that you couldn't trust that a particular job is done correctly. The different code bodies: AWS, ASME, API, are all about organizations that try to come up with standards that have been determined to give some certainty of meeting minimum acceptance criteria to insure safety and continuity in welding. You wouldn't want just anybody welding a skyscraper together, the same goes for a bridge or a nuclear power station. Codes typically set forth standards that welders have to meet before welding on these items, they also put forth acceptance criteria by which to judge the welding that has taken place. COVER YOUR A**, is the basis for these standards. If we only had to rely on the honor of the folks who design, engineer, and fabricate our structures and products we might all suffer. Lawyers have also ensured that we adhere to some standards of accepted practice and minimum quality levels. If we don't we'll end up in court with our little friends and I don't believe anyone wishes for that. You made a statement about welding a harley frame and wondering why you didn't just weld it. The main reason for questioning why not to just weld it might go something like this: if you weren't quite sure of the material that the frame was fabricated from you might select a particular filler based on a reasonable guess, if you were wrong and the owner of the bike was riding it and the weld broke when he was in a situation where this failure caused him to be killed his wife might just drag you into court and make an example and a pauper out of you. I realize this is an extreme example, yet it happens in our sue-happy world. In a nutshell, all of these numbers and codes that are spoken of on the site here all have an application for various welding scenarios and in various industries. They can be found in the various code books for these applications. Hope this has helped a bit. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 03-11-2008 17:45
aevald thank you I think it is sinking in but when you say " codes typically set forth standards that welders have to meet before welding on these items " does that mean pass a test to become qualified??? thanks for takeing your time with this it is apprecited. Do you have classes about codes and such that is probably something you already do they must have taught me about codes in school as it sounds like a MAJOR part of welding, sometimes I wish I would have taken the welding course later in life would have realized what a gift I was being given.. Well you know the old saying.. if I would have known then what I know now.. it is tuff world and education pays!!!!!
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-11-2008 22:05
Hello again cyrus 07, the standards that I was referring to are documents that will provide the basis for the welding procedure that is used in the shop to make a particular weld in a particular welding situation, as different situations arise different procedures could be qualified for them as well. A (W)elding (P)rocedure (Q)ualification (R)ecord will provide proof that a particular welding procedure will meet the requirements for a specific type of weld application. A (W)elding (P)rocedure(S)pecification would detail the type of electrode, process(smaw, fcaw, gmaw, others), diameter of electrode, amps, volts, inches per minute of wire, preheat, interpass, postheat and any other special instructions to describe the welding process. Portions of the standard would describe in detail the acceptance criteria for completed welds, amount of reinforcement or lack of it that is acceptable, amount and depth of undercut that is allowable, and any other particulars that would either qualify the weld as being sound or reject it and require it's repair. These acceptance levels can be different depending upon the applicable code. I am hoping that I didn't screw up on this description, If I have, I apologize and it is very likely that others more knowledgable than me will set me straight and provide you with the correct answer. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-12-2008 04:04
cyrus, aevald is giving You good advice IMHO. You as a welder don't need to know the codes to the degree many of these guys do, and establishing the procedures will be "above Your pay grade", All You need to be able do is understand the terminology and be able to follow the procedures. If I am wrong about this I am sure they will  let Us know....
Parent - - By cyrus 07 (**) Date 03-12-2008 13:37
I GOT IT NOW!!!! Aevald and Dave thanks for the replys now I know what your talking about its about following the procedures that the company GIVES you to follow.. DUH?? I thought people were supposed to know all the parrameters before you got to the job. Thanks again guys that really takes off alot of that pressure...
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 03-12-2008 22:22
There's still some code stuff you need to know that won't be printed on the WPS, like how far away from the weld you check your temperature, or under what circumstances you're allowed to repair something on your own vs. when you have to stop and have someone review the situation, or issues of rod drying and storage, but all of that should also be established in shop SOP and not up to you to figure out on your own from the codebook.

Hg
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 03-13-2008 00:22
You said it yourself, Cyrus. Education pays. Everyone on this site is learning and nobody knows it all or ever will. Just take it at your own pace and realize that job experience and a little research both pay dividends.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / just wondering???