Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld cleaning in performance testing
- - By Bill M (***) Date 03-11-2008 20:41
My 1990 edition of D1.1 says that, "Weld cleaning shall be done with the test weld in the same position as the welding position being qualified."  (5.25.2)

I have always enforced that requirement here, but I can't find that requirement in the 2006 edition of the code.  Did i miss it...or is it not there anymore?

thanks-
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-12-2008 12:29
I didn't see anything in the 2006 edition about interpass cleaning either.

The codes do not provide direction on "how" to conduct a welder qualification test. That's where the newbie CWI should be teamed with an experienced CWI to learn how to conduct a welder qualification test. Do you ask to see the "green" card or driver's license, is it alright to use a sledge hammer to break out fused slag and to straighten plates that have been distorted, Does the welder need to use strong-backs and how do they get attached, do you allow the welder to use the milling machine to remove the last weld bead down to sound metal to remove the slag inclusion and porosity before depositing the cover pass, etc.

Now is the time to consider formalizing the test rules for how you give the welder performance test. The welder needs to know what he can and can't do before the test starts, not half way through the test. Think hard and long about what the welder can do and what he can't do while taking the test. Are you going to allow grinding between each weld pass? Are you going to allow the welder to take the test plates down so that he can wire brush and chisel each weld bead? Remember the code provides very little detail in this matter, so you, the person that is signing the "Welder Cert" has to understand that your signature is what everyone sees when the welder gets into the field and screws up every weld he makes. They are going to ask themselves if they want to accept your paperwork on future projects. The welder you let slide because he was such a nice guy could put your job and future in question.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 03-12-2008 21:27 Edited 03-12-2008 21:30
Any welder we qualify has to clean their welds in position because it simulates the actual position encountered in production or field in a worse case scenario.  It's too easy to do the welding and then change positions to clean it.  Cleaning is part of the welding process.  
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 03-13-2008 04:56
I make them tack their coupon into position and tell them it cannot move untill they are finished! thats our own company policy.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-13-2008 10:38
Neat topic...something I have found lacking in many qualification tests....whether ASME or AWS.  I SPOSE this is always left to the author of the wps....you gurus correct where necessary!!!. In my last qual...the author specified all cleaning procedures...before...during and after the weld deposit.  I can tell you that being under the gun having EXACTLY what he expected spelled out clearly was more then appreciated!!!  Nobody on earth can cover every base in any document first try....but making it clear the alloy of brush expected showed some serious professionalisms and knowledge I have not much experienced in documented procedures.   IT sure as hell made my job doing quals a lot easier....I knew what he wanted without question so therefore I could provide it without question.

Tommy
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 03-13-2008 13:03
I was just wondering why the code book took out the requirement.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld cleaning in performance testing