Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Teachers and Mentors and Learners
- - By aevald (*****) Date 03-12-2008 09:43
Hello everyone, I wanted to post this up for all to see and consider. I do feel lucky to be in a profession that is my current titled position: a welding instructor. Even though that title describes my current position of employment I do feel it is a bit misleading. Here is the basis for my last statement: before I became a "welding instructor" I was a welder, fabricator, mechanic, shade tree machinist, and many other things within our industry. At the same time I was also one of the individuals who wished to share my abilities with the others around me as others had shared with me(learning part). I always considered the job at hand to be one of collaboration and an opportunity to share and work towards a common solution to various fabrication and welding challenges. This line of thought helped to keep the job from becoming just a job as opposed to providing an outlet and resource for learning and sharing. I was once asked why the choice for teaching, I thought for a while and realized that during the majority of my career I was teaching and learning and passing on learning. I believe that all of us are "teachers" whether we call ourselves that or not. We are also mentors, many of those that I have had the pleasure and honor of working with during the course of my career provided examples to me and exhibited qualities of things that I wanted to be. I believe that whether you actually consider yourselves as a teacher or a mentor to those around you....... you are. When you had the influence of mentors and teachers that impacted you in a positive way you were a learner. Considering these thoughts helps to ground me and make me take a second look at how I might react to a situation in a more positive way. To me the forum has been an awesome resource in many different ways, I have taken away information from this site that I would have never even considered taking an interest in without following the threads and realizing how interconnected much of this really is. Another really awesome aspect to this site would have to be the connectivity that it affords, I can post comments in response to Stephan in Germany and in return he can respond back to me in Washington state, in a similar context, Shane in New Zealand can comment on a thread and I can post my thoughts on what he has to say. Responses are just a mouse click and a key-stroke away, truly amazing. The learning and sharing that takes place on this sight isn't "book" learning, it is so much more and takes on a definite personal flair. So be a Teacher, a Mentor, and a Learner and we'll all become a little bit smarter. Having a little fun here, hope you do too. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 03-12-2008 12:27
Allan,
Nice post.  The sad part is that those in the education field probably won't ever get rich, from a $$$ standpoint.  We have a daughter and son-in-law who are teachers and they are richer (real word??) than a lot of people, but not in a monetary way.  They really love what they do.  I owe a lot to my professsors and they have had a lot to do with my professional successes.  Keep up the good work.  I can have a lot of influence over a small group of people in my family, but you can influence a lot of families.

Where in WA are you located?  My career started at PSNS in Bremerton.

Best of luck.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-12-2008 13:47
Hello Fredspoppy, I am in Longview, it's about 45 miles north of Portland up the I-5 corridor. I worked a short stint at the sub base in Bangor a number of years ago, funny thing, I helped to replace a roof on an ordinance unloading slip. Didn't weld a lick, but they paid us good. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 03-12-2008 14:47
Allan,
Great post! Very apropos for me personally, and the others who will benefit from Your assistance, knowledge and encouragement. Your Integrity proves it's self out through your posts. I am most appreciative.
Respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-12-2008 16:15
Very good points Allan,

I know I would not have had the opportunities come through that I did if it were not for some key figures who acted as mentors. 

These men did not need to invest their in me or go the extra mile to not only answer my questions but to encourage them.

When I was a shop floor welder at UAL we had two different process engineers who's heels I would dog constantly; bringing them componants that were either scrap, damaged beyond limits, or had not had repairs developed. We would work together to plan new procedures and we would carry them out on the shop floor. 

They explained the material behavior of weird alloys.. educated me on why the repair limits existed in the first place and on the occation that we were able to institute a new repair or salvage a scrap componant they were quick to recognize those who helped get the job done.

This all occured in an atmosphere where the union men and management were traditionally at odds to the point that most workers were discouraged about putting forward new ideas to increase productivity or improve quality... Sometimes you can find the right people in some of the worst environments.

And ya know what?  I've recieved similar encouragement and from Al Moore, Joe Kane, Allan, and more than a few others here at this forum... Folks who have sent me information and data, pictures of cool projects to share with my students, reviewed and provided feedback on my WPS's and Test reports when I make new ones or changes........  I may have grey hairs but I'm still very willing to get under sombodys wing, and also try to be as receptive and responsive to others as those figures I hold in such high regard.
Parent - By gshuma (**) Date 03-12-2008 18:39
Great post
I also teach. I now teach maintenance at a fee type trade school. Electricity, fluid power, motor control, PLC on and on but no welding. I have welded on and off for 40 years (was 6G once) and miss it, that is why I hang out here.
My pay really is watching folks improve their life and get a skill they can sell for real money. I'll take the dropouts with a big attitude any day.  If you can show them that with some knowledge they become worth something they turn into tremdous employees and are a joy to teach.
My rant here is that welding is well defined, the procedures are defined and the tests are defined. Either you pass or you have to learn to say "do you want fries with that?"  In maintenance and machining there is a great disconnect between what educational institutions think are required skills and what guys really need in the plant. It seems that everywhere that I have taught there is someone running the place that has a degree in biology or management or something and they both know more than everyone else and they look down on their "uneducated" students.
Anyway, to you guys that are teaching; May the force be with you
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-13-2008 04:19
Great post Allan.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 03-14-2008 22:46
Good points Allan, I also belief as you and some it up by saying, the sign of a true journeyman is the one willing to go the extra mile and train an apprentice . Because after you drink all the beer and tell all the lies it is the information and knowledge that one passes on that makes your mark on life keeping it to yourself is of no benifit to anyone.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Teachers and Mentors and Learners