Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help, flashed computer after welding.
- - By Hans Gyswyt Date 03-13-2008 02:37
I'm just a hobby welder, self taught but I brought my 96 Chevrolet pickup into the body shop for a new bedside skin. They spot welded the new skin on while the bed was off the truck. Something flashed the computer in the injector pump and it was shot when I tried to take the truck home. It's a new pump with only 15,000 miles, cost $3,000.00 to replace. Also a solinoid is fried. Body shop says sorry, we didn't do anything wrong.

After getting pump replaced at dealer I see where the collision center mig welded on the truck frame, they had to cut away a camper tie down and re-attach it. I'm convinced that the pump was ruined when they welded on the frame, the steel fuel line runs right behind the frame directly to the injector pump.

I need guidelines to support my claim that they broke the rules by welding on my truck with out disconnecting the batteries or taking the proper precautions to protect the sensative electronics. Where can I find general practice rules for welding on vehicles? Am I wrong about this? Help if you can, tell me where I can find rules that I can print out to support my claim. Thanks....Hans

Email at Gyswyth@netscape.net
Or call my Verizon cell 206-459-1522

I'm in the Seattle Washington area.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 03-13-2008 04:05
Check your local chevy dealer. you could talk to the body shop and see what their policy is for welding on frames. maybe even get them to stand behind you in court(for a fee of course) but i doubt any welding code will go into electronics and how to avoid burning them up!
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 03-14-2008 03:06
May as well try and sue city hall. Check out the complaints on Chevy Colorados. Brand new trucks with electrical problems galore and nobody's doing any welding, microwaving, or anything.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help, flashed computer after welding.