Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Welder ID Stamps
- - By eekpod (****) Date 03-13-2008 12:35
I could have swore that in D1.1 it required that all welders permently "stamp" each weld they make with die stamps for easy identification for which welds were made by which welder.  Now, I can't find it.
Any help would be appreciated.

I know it's in D1.5 Bridge, but I only concerned about D1.1 Structural.  Chris
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-13-2008 13:29
Chris,
  I am not aware of nor can I find anything in AWS D1.1 current revision requiring welders to ID welds. In 6.5.4 howerver it addresses Inspector identification, maybe this is what you saw. Generaly the requirement for welder ID will be called out in the quality manual and procedures. Also if you are IAS, AISC, or ISO certified I believe this is a requirement for all three situations.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 03-13-2008 13:48
AISC Element 12 requires the fabricator to develop a system (procedure) for identifying the welder that welded a specific joint, which must be followed when welder ID is imposed on a project via the contract documents.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-13-2008 13:54
IAS AC172 4.6.2 All welding personnel shall have and use an identifying number, letter or symbol for the purpose of traceability. It has been some time since I have been involved with ISO so I do not know how this is addressed by them, but I am sure that is is.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 03-13-2008 15:24
Couldn't that requirement be satisfied (if less reliably) by writing on the drawings who welded what, rather than stamping it into the steel?

Hg
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-13-2008 15:32
This is often the way it is done in the pipeing industry through the use of weld maps. I seem to recall a statement that went something like this, " When stamping of the part is not fesable (spelling) other means of traceability can be utilized, IE weld maps, or other means that are agreed on by the customer and governing parties." I am not sure where I read this and this is not an exact quote, but in short I believe that yes this could be an option depending on contract requirements. I will do a little digging to see if I can find this again.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-13-2008 15:40
There are also some special low stress type stamps that are approved for FEMA contruction for identifying the welder's work. (required by FEMA 353 Part I paragraph 3.1.3)
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-13-2008 15:53
Hello John, you somewhat addressed a comment I was going to include here by describing "low stress" stamps. Some time ago, I believe, there was a study done which determined that many piping failures were caused by the stress risers that were induced by using a steel stamp for identification. I would surmise this is also why FEMA specified low stress stamps for use in seismic applications. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-13-2008 16:38
Allen, I have a few guys here that are really proud of the welds that they produce, so they stencil so that the symbol can be seen from the backside as well....if you listen closely you can probably hear those guys stenciling their welds from your location.....LOL
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 03-13-2008 18:35
John, your AISC certified like us, does my question sound familier?    Chris
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 03-13-2008 18:46
Yeah... the "low stress" design of the stencil kinda goes by the wayside when you drive it halfway through the plate.  My favorite is the guy whose symbol is "I" (just a straight line).  He can really get some depth.  Raises a nice ridge all the way around it too.

Hg
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 03-14-2008 01:36
Can't hear them John, not with all the grinding and arc gouging our welders are doing. And they're just feathering their tacks.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-13-2008 19:59
Chris you may be thinking of a requirement by the AISC for each weld to be identifed with the welder who produced it up to the point that the weld is inspected and signed off for final inspection. A stamp is one of many ways of accomplishing this.. 

D1.1 does require that the inspector identify the welds that he/she inspected...See paragraph 6.5.4

edit: nevermind...I see others have already stated the same thing....
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-14-2008 02:21
Neither D1.1 nor D1.5 require weldier ID numbers be stamped into the workpiece.

What is requird is that the welder who made the weld can be identified until the weld has been accepted.  That can be a wide range of methods or systems; from the foreman knowing who made the weld to marking ID numbers, to full blown weld maps.
I know there will be some who will argue that records should be kept and maintained for some period of time - and so forth, so on.  It might be considered as good business practice, but that is not a requirement unless invoked by contract or another specification.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 03-14-2008 12:29
Just an fyi (realizing it is a D1.1 question)- ASME sect 9 does require a welder indentification number, letter, or symbol.
Parent - By ryans Date 04-01-2008 20:29
Per AWS D1.1 section 6.5.4 Die stamping is prohibited on cyclically loaded members without approval from engineering. Hope this helps.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Welder ID Stamps