Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MIG'n Aluminum
- - By camobob Date 05-26-2001 23:56
I'm not a professional but I started welding as a hobby about 15 years ago. Lately I've been trying to MIG aluminum and it's driving me nuts ! I have a Millermatic 250 (no spool gun) and have been using 100% argon. The softer alloys end up as bird nests in my drive mechanism, the harder ones feed better but I can't get a consistent weld to save my *## !
I must be missing something - can anyone help me out, please.
Parent - - By Neal Chapman (**) Date 05-27-2001 01:44
You need a spool gun. Aluminum is too soft to push through a gun.
Parent - - By camobob Date 05-27-2001 11:56
That's what my supplier said too. The gun and module are going to set me back $1000 - a bit steep for the ammount of work I do. I might be able to pick up a used TIG machine for that kind of money - what do you think ?
Parent - By awill4x4 (**) Date 05-27-2001 12:22
Before you spend all your money on a spool gun, try a few inexpensive things 1st. Are you running a teflon liner? If not, then that's your 1st step. Are you using U shaped drive rolls or V shaped drive rolls? You should be using the former. Use 5356 alloy wire, I've found it to be the best with regard to wire feed problems. When setting the amount of load on the drive wheels, use just enough pressure so that the rolls will slip rather than making birdnests.
Wires smaller than 1mm will have feed problems we generally use either 1mm or 1.2mm. (sorry, we use Metric here in Australia and I'm not sure what the Imperial measurements are.)
Use tips especially made for Aluminium, they are slightly larger in diameter than those for steel. or drill your steel ones out slightly larger.
One problem we found when using Teflon liners was that the wire has a tendency to arc at the back of the tip where it screws into the gun, causing burnbacks to the tips. We resolved this by modifying a Binzel screw on Brass liner section which just went through the neck of the torch and no further.
Try these things first it may save you a lot of money. We weld Aluminium all day using 3.5 metre (12 foot) Tweco No 4 torchs and we have solved most of our feed problems.
Hope this helps. Regards Andrew.
Parent - By Neal Chapman (**) Date 05-27-2001 20:20
Tig is good alternative. Remember you will need an AC unit with High Freq.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MIG'n Aluminum