Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / carbon steel to nickle???
- - By patg (**) Date 03-18-2008 22:46
I had a buddy of mine call and tell me he had to take a 6'' test but it was carbon steel pipe to nickle pipe.
Is this possible?? i have never heard of this, anyone else??
Parent - By RBeldyk (**) Date 03-18-2008 23:54
One can weld Nickel  alloys such as alloy 200 (wrought nickel) to carbon steel with ERNi-1 of ERNICr-3.
Here are a few good articles on welding nickel:
http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article38.htm
http://www.twi.co.uk/j32k/protected/band_3/jk22.html
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-19-2008 01:11
It's possible, with materials already listed, and at worst case scenerio, a butter of 309 on the carbon side, though I am not entirely sure that is necessary.
Parent - - By patg (**) Date 03-19-2008 01:45
well the way it was explained to me is it's a 6'' sch. 160 carbon/nickle test, to hire on for a local company down here.
I wouldn't think this is common, as i have been down here welding 10 years and never took this type of test.
6'' carbon sch. 160 yes/ 2'' carbon to stainless sch. 160 and other alloys but this has to be not only difficult but also expensive
and this is just to hire on
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-19-2008 13:34
It is unusual for the simple reason that nickel alloys are used for very aggressive services that carbon steel is unsuitable for. Transitions from one alloy family to the other are rare. But hey do happen. I've seen it more commonly happen with nickels on CrMo's (which is very close to the same thing) for thermal wells and such.
The only thing that makes it tough is if you GTAW the root for example you have to be aware that the carbon steel side will wet much easier than the nickel side.
If I was able to prep my own bevels I'd lay the nickel bevel backa little farther. This narrows and sharpens the feather edge of the pipe making fusion at the root easier. This is a typical technique for nickel alloy sin general and would work here, though it is unnecessary for the CS.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / carbon steel to nickle???