Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Tig rod holders
- - By aevald (*****) Date 03-19-2008 00:25
Hello everyone, I know many of you out there would like to do a better job of storing your tig welding rod to keep it from oxidizing and rusting before you have a chance to use it. Alot of you have spent the money and bought the commercial rod holders, I have too, to the tune of about $17.00 a pop. Here is an alternative that I recently put together which cost roughly $6.50 each. Not quite as nice as the ready made ones but certainly functional.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-19-2008 03:44
I like it!

Al
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 03-19-2008 12:13
I too like it.  Being the job shop that we are, keeping tig rod and even some SMAW rod in good condition is always a challenge.  It seems that we have tig rod for everything from tool steels to aluminum and stainless.  Since we might only use 20 pieces of any given alloy per year, and buy it in 5 pound packs, the rods need to have a good storage.  I have about 15 of those $15 rod holders, and still half of the tig rods are not properly stored.  I might just go to the local hardware and make some of these PVC units.
Thanks Allen.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 03-19-2008 16:39
Exactly what we use here.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-19-2008 18:19
Hello bozaktwo1, I figured there had to be some out there who were doing something like this. I guess I'm just a cheapskate, can't see paying the price they want for the commercially available ones. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By thewelder (***) Date 03-20-2008 01:19
HI welders, "cheapskate" is another word for ingenuirity, every shop I worked, I made rod holder, pipe stands or tool carts, wereber made may job easier.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 03-20-2008 16:41
I just can't see paying through the nose for a piece of plastic that's made in China and will break after a few months' use.  I have had some good ones in the Navy, with the screw-on tops and rubber gasket, but that's crazy money there.  One year in the early 90s I got the idea for PVC pipe from a guy I worked with, and I've used it ever since.  They last forever; they take a real beating, too.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-21-2008 07:56
nice post Allan....my shop is doing same thing.....but we still got an oven for our 4130  FINALLY!!!!
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 03-26-2008 15:49
Allan, I did pretty much the same thing but put a threaded cap on the one end which works well. I do use the store bought ones as well but every dollar counts.
Parent - - By mody454 (**) Date 04-07-2008 04:28
what size pipe did you use  1/2  or 3/4   yea we had some nice stainless ones at school   who knows how much it cost
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-07-2008 06:01
Hello mody454, I used 1 1/2" pipe for these particular holders, although I believe you could use any number of different diameters to suit your particular needs. You could also use a number of different fitting combinations to simplify the design. In the simplest form, a piece of pipe with a glued cap on one end of a piece of threaded pipe and then a screw-on end cap for the other end would indeed simplify the design. How you go about it all depends on your resources and how much you really want to spend or how much time you're willing to put into it. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Tig rod holders