Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Sandvik 308Lsi stainless wire VS Randor 308L HISIL stainless
- - By Kix (****) Date 03-20-2008 14:21
Any thoughts or comments on these two wires?  Are these both Hi Si wires or does the Randor have more?  We're having the Randor pushed on us because it's cheaper and it's supposed to run better in short circuit transfer.  I do not like the way the Randor is performing so far and the spatter isn't any better.  I think the Sandvik wets in better and is easier to tune in for good bead profile.  This is with a 98/2 argon/co2 gas mixture.  The Randor will probably run better with a high % helium trimix, but I'm trying to scrap the trimix because of it's cost.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 03-20-2008 16:58
Ray,
I burn a lot of 300 wire all Sandvik and have never heard of Randor.  We run pulse and short circuit with 98/2 just like you.  If you figure in the cost of tri-mix, cheaper wire might end up costing more in the long run.  Are they the manufacture or are they like Crown and just re-spool someone else's wire?  We have tested many types of wire and always end up back at Sandvik.  They are not the cheapest, but it is the most consistent and best performing product out there.  We went away from 308 a year and half ago to weld 304 base metal.  We tested and switched everything to 307 and saved a bundle of money over the price and surcharges of 308.  Again this is for 304 and 304 to cs only.  We still use 309 on all 309 base.

By the way, I have about 600 pounds of .039 Sandvik NiCrMo-3 that was bought for an inco625 job that was cancelled.  Is that something you use and if so do you want to buy it for cheap???

Mark
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-20-2008 17:15
Randor is made by McKay.  The base we are welding to is a 3CR12 which is similar to a 409 stainless.  Yup, it's magnetic.  It just seams like it's a lot harder to dial in to get a good bead profile down low.  If you run it hot, it doesn't run to bad, but in production we weld on sheet metal and can't get dimples on the backsides of the material so what do ya do.
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 03-20-2008 18:04
"so what do ya do."
Yeah that is the question...I'll use the Sandvik, pay a bit more, and make good welds all day without a problem.
Now, the challenge is getting the bean counters to understand that cheaper wire does not mean cheaper welding process.  It's the old "pay me now, or pay me more later"
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-20-2008 18:27
Hello Kix, I've got one more for you to consider. I was looking through the ESAB Welding Filler Metal Data Book and noticed that they have two flux-cored SS wires that are available in .035 diameter. They are referred to as Shield Bright(an all position wire) and Shield Bright X-tra(their flat and horizontal wire), from what I can tell they are also available in an alloy that fits your application. I am wondering if possibly one of these wires would provide you with the low spatter and no burn-through that you are trying to achieve. At the same time I realize there would be slag to contend with, yet my experience with the dualshield SS wires has been that it is easily removed and most of these wires generate very little in the way of spatter. Might be worth approaching your wire supplier for some sample wire to test. Something to consider. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 03-20-2008 18:32
That's not a bad idea.  I might have to have a little chat with our supplier next week so I can get a sample.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 03-21-2008 04:05
Radnor is a private label brand name owned by Airgas, Inc.  They buy wire from the lowest bidder and have it packaged with their name on it.  My experience has been that it is low quality material, although I have not used their stainless wire.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-21-2008 04:14
This is conjecture on My part: The Airgas rep sells You the cheaper wire to save You money, but it only works well with an expensive TriMix gas. Hello!!! Airgas makes a little on the private brand wire it sells, but don't forget, they are a GAS COMPANY. No offense to Our friendly Airgas staff, the ones that USED to be in My town were great, the ones there now? Well, lets say they just aren't the same.
Parent - By Keplinger78 (**) Date 03-21-2008 12:18
Yes that is the bottom line...They have pushed the Rador wire on me but it seems to do fine on CO2 or Steelmix,they said that it is made buy Lincoln????

Later Tom K
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Sandvik 308Lsi stainless wire VS Randor 308L HISIL stainless