Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Problem w/ my '54 shorthood
- - By 1mancrew (**) Date 03-21-2008 01:47
Hey Guys,

Pardon my mechanical ignorance, but I've got a small problem with my old 200. The engine will not shut off when I flip the ignition switch off. I just replaced the switch thinking that it might be the problem but, no luck. Do I have a grounding problem somewhere? Where do I start looking?

Thanks in advance for the input.

GH Weidman
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 03-21-2008 03:29
the switch should have a wire to ground and to the mag.check them
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 03-21-2008 14:11
52Lincoln is right. Make sure you are getting a ggod ground. The stud off the side of the magneto has a wire that runs to the off (ground) side of the switch. You can take that wire loose from the switch and scratch it to clean metal spot on the frame. It will ground out, stop fire to the plugs and kill the machine.
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 03-23-2008 23:22
Yep, sure enough! There was a ground wire at the magneto that was disconnected. I can't believe I didn't see that one earlier! I got it running and now, shutting off via the switch but it seems the alternator is shot because it doesn't seem to want to keep the battery charged while running but I think that will be an easy fix that even I can handle.

KSellon, I was wondering if you would be so kind as to send me the part number for the K+N Air filter that replaces that oil bath filter system. I would like to modify that also.

Thanks again.

GH Weidman
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 03-24-2008 21:58
Your carb has a 1 1/2 intake. The K & N Filters are 62-1514

http://kandn.com/images/l/62-1514.jpg

I like it because you can face the open side to the engine.
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 03-26-2008 02:47
Thanks for that info. My Pro 300 went down on me so I had to make the ol' shorthood roadworthy in pretty short order. I never intended for this machine to be my daily machine but here we are! I may just have to turn this thing over to you for a while when I get my 300 back. The starter went out on me first thing this morning so now I am starting it with a flat file across the terminals. Oil is leaking everywhere and I'm losing a little bit of anti freeze so I'm doing a first-rate job of rust-proofing my bed!! All that aside it runs and welds extemely well, so I'm pretty sure it just needs a good once-over from a qualified professional like yourself.

GH Weidman
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 03-26-2008 13:43
Thank you very much-- let me know if you need anything in the meantime.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Problem w/ my '54 shorthood