Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / eye glasses
- - By 1mancrew (**) Date 03-21-2008 01:54
Quick question.

Do any of you have those glasses the self adjust according to light intensity? You know; the ones that get darker automatically when you go from a dark room and into the direct sunlight, for example? I was wondering how they react during welding when you raise and lower the hood or start using a torch, etc, etc.
I was thinking of getting something like that for my next safety glasses but I don't know how they well they work in welding situations.

Thanks

GH Weidman
Parent - By Roadtrash (*) Date 03-21-2008 03:15
they change color to slow to really be effective.  I have the photograde on my regular glasses and safety glasses, but I have a second pair of safety glasses without that I use for welding. I just don't like waiting for them to go from dark to light when I drop my hood. They are good for everyday glasses, but they won't do anything for the UV light from welding and torch work.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-21-2008 03:34
    I have been using this type of glasses since 1988 for My all the time glasses. The biggest problem is when You go indoors from bright sunlight. It takes a while for them to get lighter. Having said that You don't mess arround with clip on sun lenses, seperate sun glasses etc.
    I wear mine for everything, they are safety strength glass & heavy as hell with My perscription. I have welded a fair bit with them, but I don't do critical welding, and don't weld all the time.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-21-2008 07:51
if you do a lot of outdoor welding they might cause a bit of a problem....but if you can wear sunglasses and still do your work with your hood on then it would not bother you.  I ended up just getting separate glasses...I was not happy with the speed with which the tint changed or the level of tint...they are not bad tho.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / eye glasses